Help! Rooster poop question

He looks like he still isn't feeling well. I bet the diarrhea is from his illness.
His beak is way over grown. He needs something abrasive to rub it on, I have stone and bricks in their run. I see them rubbing their beaks on them all the time. It will allow him to pick up his food easier. I would take him out as much as possible. He needs the fresh air and sunlight.
As far as eating things off the floor, chickens taste things to see if it is good to eat and they are searching for food constantly.
You have a handsome fellow there I hope he gets to feeling better soon.
Thank you. I bought a brick for him (it’s behind him) but he seems to prefer to rub his beak against soft surfaces. I have been trying to figure out a way to cut or file the beak without stressing him but I fear that it may break (his beak was very brittle for a long time after he recovered from an earlier fowlpox infection). This little fella has been through a lot since he was dropped by a hawk sick, and with a broken leg, in our family’s yard.
I try to take him out as much as possible, weather permitting. We live in the tropics and when it gets too warm, the heat just makes him worse.

In terms of eating random things, he usually does not care for certain things, like paper or plastic, but this last week he has been trying to eat it and I have to be super careful.

Get a piece of sand paper and play tug of war with him gently. You hold it and let him bite it you gentlely pull up. Do that a few times each day. It shouldn't stress him atleast not as much as holding him down and using clippers. It should take a little off at a time so there shouldn't be any breakage.
Chickens for some reason love styrofoam and other plastics. If he is feeling better he may start getting into more things like that.
It sure sounds like he has had a rough go of things and it sounds like you are doing your best. He is very lucky to have you.

Get a piece of sand paper and play tug of war with him gently. You hold it and let him bite it you gentlely pull up. Do that a few times each day. It shouldn't stress him atleast not as much as holding him down and using clippers. It should take a little off at a time so there shouldn't be any breakage.
Chickens for some reason love styrofoam and other plastics. If he is feeling better he may start getting into more things like that.
It sure sounds like he has had a rough go of things and it sounds like you are doing your best. He is very lucky to have you.
Thank you! I love the idea! I will try it. Sometimes I scratch the the brick with my nails and he comes and sorta imitates with his beak. It’s adorable but it’s obviously not enough, so I will try the sandpaper.

I’m posting another photo from today for comparison.
F6FBDE28-3D92-418D-A1B7-A8251A5C1A65.jpeg

How old is he? How does his crop feel now, and is it emptying overnight by the next morning? What is your location? I would consider worming him with albendazole (Valbazen) or fenbendazole (SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste or Panacur.) If he is young, I might also consider treating him for coccidiosis with amprollium. Probiotics in his diet may be helpful.
Hello,
I was checking his crop today and it’s like a hard ball. Which is unusual for him. Do you think it’s sour crop or something else? I appreciate any help on this matter!

I agree with @STACEYH sounds like an impaction, my hen pooped poop like that when she was impacted. Maybe not sour crop since you can’t smell anything but I’m not an expert on the sour side of things. Maybe some colloidal silver would help? I’ve gave it to my impacted hen and I do believe it helped. I believe it would help if his crop is sour.

Back
Top Bottom