1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Rooster suddenly can't crow, something suck in throat?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by speeps76, Jan 3, 2016.

1. speeps76

speeps76 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2012
    North Carolina
    Our roo has been fine all day, but suddenly tonight, tried to crow several times, but nothing comes out. He sounded a little wheezy when I was feeling his throat, but that may have been because I was messing with it. He's still clucking and eating, but no crowing. I felt his throat, and can feel a little lump - am wondering if something is stuck?

We added a sandbox to the coop today with play sand and some small gravel size rocks. Could he have inhaled a rock? I don't think it could be gapeworm - It would be quite a coincidence for that to suddenly happen the same day we added the sandbox.

I gave him a little bread soaked in olive oil just in case it is something in his esophagus. He ate it up.

Leave it to us to end up with a roo dumb enough to choke on a rock.

Any thoughts/ideas?? Thanks

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    He may have ingested an item slightly too large for his tubes. The scarring may be causing him some discomfort. I think ALL WILL SHAKE OUT OK in a day or so. By shake out,, I mean pass.. If he is able to breathe and eat IT IS A GOOD SIGN.
    WISHING YOU BEST[​IMG]

3. speeps76

Dec 7, 2012
    North Carolina
    Thank you for your thoughts on this. I figure if it's in his esophagus, he'll work it out eventually. Have you ever heard of a chicken actually inhaling and choking on something? If something is in his trachea, I don't know if he can cough it up… but I've never heard of a chicken getting a rock in the trachea… silly old roo. I'm hoping he'll be back to normal in the morning.

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I have seen my chickens wolfing down kitchen scraps viciously just to get the most of it available. Like a feeding frenzy. Some of them took on pieces slightly larger than Ideal. It all worked its way down eventually. Never had a food choking incident in all my chicken keeping years.

5. speeps76

Dec 7, 2012
    North Carolina
    Thank you. I'll post how he's doing tomorrow. It's very strange. I actually have video of him crowing away today at 4:30, but by 5:30, he couldn't get one out.

6. speeps76

Dec 7, 2012
    North Carolina
    He's back to his ornery self today. Crowing away, and he nipped me on the way into the tractor. LOL The ingrate.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by