Help! Rooster swollen eye but now bleeding

BSChickens

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2020
My rooster showed signs of a swollen eye about a week ago. I have no poultry vets around me, but one vet offered to help by giving me some Terramycin for his swollen eye. I’m not sure now if it is some kind of growth or just a swollen eye lid. He keeps scratching it and the whole puffy bit came out of his lid and looks like a little growth. I’m not sure what to do. Any advice?!

Attachments

• 2958E3FF-97FB-4798-8D9E-0D939504978D.jpeg
    2958E3FF-97FB-4798-8D9E-0D939504978D.jpeg
    430.8 KB · Views: 18
Oh, no, poor thing!

I'll tag some people, hopefully someone will be able to give some good advice! I wonder what putting a wash cloth will a little warm water on his eye whould do?

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

Thank you! I’m afraid to just let him be because he might scratch his eye to pieces. I’ve kept him with me the last hour since he last scratched it so I could make sure he didn’t scratch it so bad again..

My rooster showed signs of a swollen eye about a week ago. I have no poultry vets around me, but one vet offered to help by giving me some Terramycin for his swollen eye. I’m not sure now if it is some kind of growth or just a swollen eye lid. He keeps scratching it and the whole puffy bit came out of his lid and looks like a little growth. I’m not sure what to do. Any advice?!
Do you know what happened? Did he get into a fight or is he showing symptoms of respiratory illness (mucous from the nostrils, coughing, etc.)?

The swelling likely has pus too. I would flush the eye with saline and apply the Terramycin eye ointment 2-3 times a day. Open the eye and see if there's pus or debris that needs to be removed too.
You may want to try to fashion a cone to help keep him from scratching the eye the post link below shows how one person made one from a milk jug. Another option would be to make sure his nails are trimmed, then apply some vetwrap/tape or similar to the feet to help "soften" the impact of scratching.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/scratched-and-split-eyelid.1412964/

Ohhh no that terrible poor guy

Do you know what happened? Did he get into a fight or is he showing symptoms of respiratory illness (mucous from the nostrils, coughing, etc.)?

The swelling likely has pus too. I would flush the eye with saline and apply the Terramycin eye ointment 2-3 times a day. Open the eye and see if there's pus or debris that needs to be removed too.
You may want to try to fashion a cone to help keep him from scratching the eye the post link below shows how one person made one from a milk jug. Another option would be to make sure his nails are trimmed, then apply some vetwrap/tape or similar to the feet to help "soften" the impact of scratching.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/scratched-and-split-eyelid.1412964/

When he scratched his eye and that growth/swollen tissue popped out, there was some hard white stuff on it, but a lot was just hanging off, so I removed the white stuff and flipped the growth back into his eyelid. I’ve been giving him that ointment for about 6 days now twice a day. No drainage from eye, no sneezing, runny nose etc. I thought about making some kind of cone.. I’ll look into the milk jug idea! And clipping his nails too.

I think that is part of his eyelid.
There may be more pus in there that is pushing it out.
I know a vet probably is not an option, but if possible ask if they can help you with that.
If not, then you may need to flush well and push/press that in and see if there's more pus.

Back
Top Bottom