Help! Rooster w/ leg injury.

Well I did what was asked and unfortunately I have not received any additional help and that’s unfortunate. I hope others receive better help than me (as I see from another watched threads that they are) I must be blacklisted so I guess I’m not welcome here.

Well I did what was asked and unfortunately I have not received any additional help and that’s unfortunate. I hope others receive better help than me (as I see from another watched threads that they are) I must be blacklisted so I guess I’m not welcome here.
I've read your posts, but this isn't something I can give advice about. Bumblefoot, open wounds, broken nails, sure, I can give some feedback. This issue, I just don't know. Why would I answer if I can't help. The only thing I could have suggested is a sling, which you have. Injuries that are less common get fewer responses. Blacklisting has nothing to do with it.

I've read your posts, but this isn't something I can give advice about. Bumblefoot, open wounds, broken nails, sure, I can give some feedback. This issue, I just don't know. Why would I answer if I can't help. The only thing I could have suggested is a sling, which you have. Injuries that are less common get fewer responses. Blacklisting has nothing to do with it.
So why respond now? I wasn’t even referring to you. I don’t remember tagging you or quoting you, tbh... did I? Others asked questions, I did as they asked and yet have been ignored. Thanks for your input! But I thought this was for help for our birds. Have a good day! :)

Last edited:
So why respond now? I wasn’t even referring to you. I don’t remember tagging you or quoting you, tbh... did I? Others asked questions, I did as they asked and yet have been ignored. Thanks for your input! But I thought this was for help for our birds. Have a good day! :)
My apologies for trying to explain a possible lack of response. It won't happen again.

My apologies for trying to explain a possible lack of response. It won't happen again.
No problem, it just seemed a tad rude when I’m clearly upset about my rooster and can’t get any advice when I do as I’m told with the pictures, etc... :)

I looked at your pictures and I cannot see any significant swelling. If you can take a video, that will give us an idea of how lame he is.

Here’s some photos for you guys/gals...
also, could mites be doing this? His feet looks very dry! But I don’t see anything on his skin, and his nails are super long...

It’s his left... you can tell it’s a little larger, but he might be getting better, it doesn’t feel as hot as it was yesterday. And he’s finally staying in his sling, now that I have him up higher. I hope it’s okay like that

No problem, it just seemed a tad rude when I’m clearly upset about my rooster and can’t get any advice when I do as I’m told with the pictures, etc... :)

I don't see anything wrong with his legs. If dry, rub a bit of vaseline into them.
He's a Silkie. Could be the issue is Marek's disease.
You can try offering supportive care with Vitamin B-Complex. His size, I would give 1/2 tablet daily for a couple of weeks.

edited by me.
Sorry that you feel it's rude not to get an answer straightaway. Unfortunately, there are really no answers to be given. All you can do is try a few things to see if he improves. Do consider his quality of life, if it's non-existent, then consider putting him out of his misery. He's lovely cockerel and I'm really sorry that you are struggling with this. Even if he recovers and you keep him, I would not use him for breeding.

There is no way to know exactly what's wrong with him unless you lose him and have a necropsy performed.

Last edited:
Can the rooster walk at all? If it’s mareks he’ll get worse pretty quickly if not he’ll most likely get better. A rooster can kick at another bird and slightly injure itself resulting in a limp for a few days too. The fact that you have another bird that walks on her hocks is evident of poor breeding. Either inbred beyond recognition or incubator issues are the main causes of weak and screwy chickens.
If he doesn’t get better soon put him down and either change your incubator ways or don’t buy birds from the same place.

Back
Top Bottom