Help! Rooster who almost drowned last night

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mallisa, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Mallisa

Mallisa Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Fairview, nc
    Posted last night, I hadn't put a lid on our water barrel and my bantam mix rooster was floating in it when I went to the coop last night, had his wings out and struggling to keep his head above water. He was almost gone when I found him. Dried him with a hair dryer and warmed him up, flipped him upside down and the water kept pouring out. He made it through the night and was even talking some this morning. However, he is wheezing some when breathing, comb is very dark, tongue pale and I have gotten more water out of him this morning. Vet says for about 70 dollars she can give him a steroid injection but can't guarantee that would do anything. Any advice on how I can support him at home?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I'd keep him under a heat lamp and offer him some scrambled eggs- they are very good for chickens.

I don't know what else to suggest- I am glad you were able to save him!!!

3. Mallisa

Jul 9, 2011
    Fairview, nc
    Well, he didn't make it. He passed in my lap right after I posted this.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am so sorry for your loss!

[​IMG]

I am sure he knew he was loved and that you did your best.

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm am sorry that he died. At least you did your best; that is all that matters. [​IMG]

6. Mallisa

Jul 9, 2011
    Fairview, nc
    Thank you, the sorrow of losing him is one thing but then there's the regret of having not put the lid on the water :( The trouble of loving your creatures is the heartbreak of losing them, esp in such a tragic, preventable way, but I would never trade it for the joy they bring. I hate the way it ended for him but he had a good life, grew up free to roam the mt during the day and sleep with his buddies at night. I'll miss him, hoping he has gone to be with my ever growing flock in Heaven :)

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Don't be hard on yourself, accidents do happen. So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

-Kathy

8. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

9. Mallisa

Jul 9, 2011
    Fairview, nc
    Thank you. I am having trouble on how to navigate and see responses on my posts, but thanks for your support.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by