Help! Rooster won't stand.

Julie_A

Songster
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Brewton, Ala.
I'm new to chickens. Have a beautiful partridge rock rooster who's about four months old. He didn't leave the house this morning. I thought it was because the weather is so weird today. I went to get him to eat his supper and he didn't appear to be able to stand. Finally, I sat him on the ground. He made some wild dash to the other side of the pen and collapsed in a heap. Holding his head steady. Slightly loose bowels. No blood. He's been fine up until now. I purchased him from an individual who'd hatched him from eggs bought online so I assume no vaccinations.

What do you think? I've isolated him. What about the chicks with him? They are younger. Will they get this too? I am new to this and appreciate any input/suggestions.

Last edited:
Any chance he got into moldy food? Why do you think it's Marek's? Separate him in a warm area, and observe him some more, then answer the questions in the sticky at the top of the Emergency, etc. section of the Index.

Somebody might be able to help, given more info.

Edited to add the link.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3569

There are so many things it could be, from broken/injured leg to disease.

Last edited:
1) What type of bird , age and weight. Partridge Rock Rooster approx. age four or five months

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Cannot stand. When placed in isolation cage, lays over to on side with a leg kicked out. When I placed him on the ground, he had a strange stumble to escape. Has some weird white froth in the corner of his right eye.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No apparent signs of trauma. No bleeding or injury.

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Totally out of the blue.

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Bird has been eating starter mash, chopped corn and drinking water.

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
a little runny. no blood.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
isolation

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Would like to treat him myself. My other concern is for the six pullet chicks in the pen with him. They are about two or three months old.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
small coop with low roosts. grass.

Quote:
I don't think they've been exposed to moldy food. The way he's collapsed into a heap and that weird stuff in his eye has me fearing the worst.

I've never had one with Marek's, so I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps someone with more experience can help.

Good luck.

He made it through the night. Blind this morning. Not able to stand at all. Unfortunately, two of the smaller pullets are apparently affected. The other pullets are out foraging. Two have not left the roost. Seem depressed. I have learned a lesson the hardway, it seems.

That is awful. I am so sorry...
sad.png

Thanks everyone. Will give him until after church and then cull him. Watching the two pullets very closely. Apparently, I've lost chicks in the past to this. When I had chickens last year, I lost several to "sudden death." No symptoms or indication that they were even slightly ill. Apparently, they had Marek's.

I've got to figure out what to do with these eggs/chicks in the incubator (if any hatch). Also, I am going to start buying chicks who are already innoculated against Mareks.

Is there a reason you are so strongly suggesting mareks? Has it ever been professionally diagnosed in your flock? What type of bedding are you using?

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm using pine shavings. Nope, never professionally diagnosed. I guess I'm just scared to death of it. Afraid of the worst case scenario.

Back
Top Bottom