HELP! Running outta options! Chick 911

beccers099

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Pennsylvania
Ok. I know my chick is a pheasant but like somebody posted to me, a chick is a chick. they're basically the same. Here's the short of it. chick was the last to hatch. He came out still attached to shell by umbilical cord and I was afraid of him bleeding out so I removed some shell leaving some membrane and tried to let him separate naturally. after several frantic posts he kicked and hit the shell and started bleeding so I heated a big flat needle red and cut/cauterize it. He had not tried to walk that whole time. He made it through the night. He is fluffy now...but still lays on one side. Cannot stand or sit or hold head steady. almost like he had a stroke. the other leg moves but doesn't hold weight. If I put him on the other side he kicks his good leg and ends up on the first side again. He is alert and peeping now. But even if I hold him he barely can do anything with his head...it keeps going to the one side. I don't know if he can be exercised or if I should end it. I've been putting drops of water in his mouth. The thread is in the pheasants category under "red golden in distress" There are pics too.

ooh, I am so sorry...poor little thing...I don't have an answer for you, sorry...sounds like you are doing the best you can, keep giving him water and let us know how he does. I had a little, teeny, bantam die...I tried too, but to no avail...sometimes they just die...
sad.png

OMG OMG OMG!!!!! Ok...I got desperate and figured hat if he was going to die anyway I was going to try a hail Mary!...I grabbed him...first tried to bind his good leg so he would have to try to use bad one...didn't work....so I was feeling so bad but basically was a bit mean I guess...I kept messing with him. I held him at all sorts of weird angles trying to force him to squirm and move his head in diff positions and was putting him on his back to make him freak out a bit and kick like crazy and when bad leg was moving I'd grab it with my fingers and pull back and forth to create resistance...after a while I was feeling really bad and like a Meany...so I put him back in the incubator after a few drops of water.....WELL....my kids just ran to me shouting that he stood up for a whole 5 seconds!...I didn't believe them cause they knew that I was considering putting him down in the next few days and I thought they wanted me to think he was improving...but low and behold...he's crooked as can be but is somewhat upright!!!!!....he's trying to walk and keeps going on his side and falling asleep but is moving!...his head is still totally floppy but slightly better....going to continue tough love treatments and hope he improves and I don't scare him to death!...WITH ME LUCK!

Does he have another chick in with him? I'd make sure he has at least one other in with him, they really do encourage each other to eat, drink and move around. I have fewer problems in hatches with 50+ chicks than we do in hatches of 15-20 chicks.
hmm.png
Go figure!

Do you think it could have wry neck or something that would benefit from some vitamins? I have been reading a lot recently on that.....so much that it has me very anxious about my chicks, like maybe it is a pretty common thing for chicks to get.
idunno.gif

I'll put another little guy in with him...just was worried he'd be picked on for being weak...I haven't seen him eat or drink. I've been giving him water on my finger. He's walking now...kinda...and head is much stronger....but his little feet are turned in like a kid with club foot...hoping that will straighten out as he gains strength, also he is still crooked...his head is still leaning to one side...and he tilts when he tries to sit...or falls over altogether. But at least he's getting up. Wow...i still feel bad about "Meany therapy" but would totally suggest it to people.... Let u know how it goes...THANKS

What a little trouper! I think sometimes the weaker ones might need that extra push! U r doing everything u can to make sure this little one lives! Sounds like u r doing a great job! Keep us updated please!
hugs.gif

I put in another chick in with my little weak one last night. I was hoping that he's teach him how to eat and drink like what was suggested. Unfortunately I think that it was too late. He was doing so great last night but this morning when I checked on him he was gone. I think it had to have been while he was sleeping, that's the position he was in. I don't know if it was from his problems or treatment to strengthen or if it took to long and i didn't get enough water in him to last till he was able to do it on his own....thanks for your help guys.

Back
Top Bottom