HELP!! Sallisaw OK to ban chickens in town. Please Call City Hall by 5/13/2024!

ssseabury

Hatching
May 3, 2024
The small town of Sallisaw OK has proposed amendments and revisions to their Municipal Ordinances which would virtually ban small backyard chicken flocks in their town. The population of the town is approximately 8.5K with a median household income of $44.310. 30% of the population is under 18. Currently, the town municipal judge reads the Ordinance to SAY backyard flocks are "PROHIBITED" in R-1 zoning, when in fact, the Ordinance says chickens are "Restricted". I recently a party to an Animal Control violation for having chickens and was fined $195 and ordered to remove the 5 chickens we had on the property in a in-escapable coop. Both the Judge and the City Attorney ruled the word "Restricted" meant "Prohibited". I have attached a copy of the Draft Ordinance which is a marked up copy of the Current Ordinance. The word "Restricted" in R-1 is still in the Draft Ordinance, which, according to the City Attorney and Municipal Judge means 'PROHIBITED".

I am drafting a response to be read into the minutes of the Commissioner's Meeting on May 13th meeting when the Commissioners will hear from Residents. Very rarely, I understand, do they change their minds on issues unless there is a Citizen's Revolt or an Ordinance is found to be Un-Constitutional.

I currently own property in Sallisaw, but do not live there. I do own a flock of chickens where I live in Texas. The Sallisaw Commissioners need to know the health benefits associated with small backyard flocks especially on young families living just over the poverty limits ($55,500 in OK for family of 4). The protein and essential vitamins supplied by the eggs produced not only stave off hunger, but promote brain, heart and bone health for babies in the womb and young children. The flock also teaches young ones responsibility when taking care of animals in their care.

I am asking for your help as like-minded group of Backyard Chicken owners. If you have the time, would you please send a note to the City Commissioners through the City City, Kim Jamison, contact email [email protected], or call and speak with her at 918.790.7112 about the importance of backyard flocks and how cities and towns in Oklahoma like the following allow backyard flocks:

Broken Arrow - no official limit; no roosters; permit may be required

Edmond - up to 30 hens depending on lot size; no roosters; permit may be required

Enid - up to 6 hens; no roosters; permit may be required

Lawton - up to 12 hens; no roosters; permit required

Midwest City - lots must be at least 12,000sqft; up to 12 hens on lots this size, but more allowed for larger lots ; no roosters; permit required

Moore - up to 4 hens; no roosters; permit may be required

Norman - up tp 4 hens; no roosters; permit may be required

Oklahoma City - up to 6 hens; no roosters; permit required

Stillwater - up to 6 hens; no roosters; permit may be required

Tulsa - up to 6 hens and 14 chicks; roosters require a permit

and even a town less than 13 miles away from them, Muldrow OK, allow chickens.

The children of Sallisaw will thank you. This seems like a more appropriate form of intervention that what has been going on in the news lately and I would greatly appreciate your support and help in the effort to educate one small town at a time to the importance of ..... the chicken and the egg!

Thank you,

Suzanne Umberger

PS...I have 5 Easter Eggers....5 eggs a day....rain or shine...their favorite treat of all times is fresh (not frozen, they can tell) black mussels cracked open for them.

Attachments

• Chapter_10___ANIMALS_New Ord DRAFT.4.1.2024 v2 sallisaw.pdf
    181.8 KB · Views: 3
Good luck and I absolutely agree with you!! By being able to supplement your food monthly with eggs is HUGE. So much food can be made with eggs! Sometimes I wonder if the powers that be don't want us to be self sufficient or be able to feed our families. I agree that the benefits far exceed any issues. I really hope your municipal court can see since. Grocery items have tripled in cost. It's getting harder and harder to stretch a dollar. Especially those on a fixed income. Eggs sure help fill in that food gap. Also I agree teaching the little ones to care for animals is important. Also learning where our food comes from. Happy hens give delicious and healthy eggs. So different then what we get at the store. I really hope they change this so you can have hens. Good luck.

Good luck and I absolutely agree with you!! By being able to supplement your food monthly with eggs is HUGE. So much food can be made with eggs! Sometimes I wonder if the powers that be don't want us to be self sufficient or be able to feed our families. I agree that the benefits far exceed any issues. I really hope your municipal court can see since. Grocery items have tripled in cost. It's getting harder and harder to stretch a dollar. Especially those on a fixed income. Eggs sure help fill in that food gap. Also I agree teaching the little ones to care for animals is important. Also learning where our food comes from. Happy hens give delicious and healthy eggs. So different then what we get at the store. I really hope they change this so you can have hens. Good luck.
Thank you so much for your response.

I highly doubt that they're going to give a second thought to people who don't live there's opinions.
The reason I reached out to this group was because "you"/"they" (not being pronoun funny) have the experience, knowledge and background with regard to issue of raising chickens in an urban environment that these City officials do not. And since this is a nation-wide, like-minded group, it might be helpful for the City to know your city or town has not been thrown into utter chaos with chickens taking over the streets and roosters crowing from every roof top, hens leaving eggs on porches, in bushes and on top of cars and baby chicks being found in Junior's baseball shoes on the back porch.

Personally, I believe it is about power. Americans are not smart enough to take care of own children and families, let alone a small flock of birds.

You might be surprised what kind of second though the City Officials may have if enough people raise awareness as to the importance of - the chicken and the egg!

Thank you for the time you took to respond!

Back
Top Bottom