Help save battery hens!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickensrule45, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Attention everyone from BYC,

There are many helpless chickens suffering in battery farms.
    As soon as they're born, a part of their beaks are cut of with hot iron, and all the poor baby cockerels are killed or thrown into rubbish bags alive. They are forced to stand night and day on a sloping wire mesh floor that painfully cuts into their feet. The air in the battery farms is so full of ammonia that their lungs hurt and their eyes burn.
    Those poor chickens deserve respect!
    They should be wandering around with their sisters and brothers free ranging, eating grass, seed, worms and insects!
    They should be able to lay eggs in comfortable nesting boxes and roost in trees and branches!
    I saved 3 chickens from a battery farm and one of them still lives to this day.
    Her name is Henny Penny and she is oldest and is the top of the pecking order in the flock.
    She is too old to lay eggs now but we don't care.
    I am glad I saved her and the other two, for if he hadn't, they would most likely be dead by now.
    I'm asking all of you...if you are looking for chickens to buy, try save a battery hen!

Thank you

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] We have many members across the country that have taken in ex battery hens. They often put up photos , before and after. Their stories of recovery are heart warming. Thank you for rescuing some.

We have a large aussie community on BYC, and a great thread "Australia, six states and one funny little island."

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Go glad you joined us. I was ignorant about battery hens til joined this forum. I takes great kindness to adopt and take care of the battered, and they must love you for it.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Good luck with your battery hens!

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Amen! I'm glad you are going after that!!!

Besides the great links provided by Two Crows, you may also want to chat with the member Roostersandhens. She is running a battery hen rescue center currently.

Here is a link to her profile.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/180840/roostersandhens

Good luck!

8. Henny Penny along with my other girl Lilly have both died of heat exhaustion recently..:(

9. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by