HELP! scalped chick! *Warning Graphic Pictures*

PrinceSandwich

Songster
10 Years
Nov 11, 2009
Alberta, Canada
One of my chicks got scalped by the other ones! Its right down to the bone!
What can I do for it?

Heres a few pictures ( very graphic)

44401_scalled_chick_006.jpg

44401_scalled_chick_003.jpg

WE had a just hatched chick that either one of the hens or chicks pecked her head and she had a major wound... we brought her in and treated her with neosporin and kept her in a cage until she healed. She healed just fine, just took a little time, and we waited until her wound was healed before we put her with the rest of the chickens.

Quote:
I have moved her from the rest of the flock and put her in with some small chicks ( that are still under a lamp). I'm pretty sure this happend becase I have to many birds in my brooder ( there getting cramped). How often ( and how) did you apply the neosporin?

Neosporin 2 times a day, morning and night. If that were anything but a bird head I'd tell you it needed a wet gauze dressing on top to keep it moist. Don't know how you'd wrap it, though. Keep it separated from the rest until it is fully healed. To keep it from scratching it's head you can make it a cone out of a soda bottle, or a coffee can lid.

Do you have a red light in the brooder? Can you divide into 2?

Quote:
Thanks for the info
thumbsup.gif
she is with 3, 1 week olds ( she is 5-6 weeks old). There is no heat lamp in the brooder where she got hurt, only in the brooder she is in now.

Back
Top Bottom