HELP! scalped chick! *Warning Graphic Pictures*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PrinceSandwich, May 29, 2010.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    One of my chicks got scalped by the other ones! Its right down to the bone!
    What can I do for it?

Heres a few pictures ( very graphic)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dixiedoodle10

dixiedoodle10 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2010
    WE had a just hatched chick that either one of the hens or chicks pecked her head and she had a major wound... we brought her in and treated her with neosporin and kept her in a cage until she healed. She healed just fine, just took a little time, and we waited until her wound was healed before we put her with the rest of the chickens.

3. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:I have moved her from the rest of the flock and put her in with some small chicks ( that are still under a lamp). I'm pretty sure this happend becase I have to many birds in my brooder ( there getting cramped). How often ( and how) did you apply the neosporin?

4. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    Neosporin 2 times a day, morning and night. If that were anything but a bird head I'd tell you it needed a wet gauze dressing on top to keep it moist. Don't know how you'd wrap it, though. Keep it separated from the rest until it is fully healed. To keep it from scratching it's head you can make it a cone out of a soda bottle, or a coffee can lid.

Do you have a red light in the brooder? Can you divide into 2?

5. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:Thanks for the info [​IMG] she is with 3, 1 week olds ( she is 5-6 weeks old). There is no heat lamp in the brooder where she got hurt, only in the brooder she is in now.

6. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    Try a lower wattage red light in the older brooder just to discourage picking.

7. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

that doesnt look good at all. i have no idea what to do, but NurseELB helped me with my injured chick last night so she probably knows what shes talking about

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by