HELP!!! Scaly leg mites? Just a leg scrape?! What the hades?!

theuglychick

Crowing
May 3, 2016
Louisiana
My 4 week old light brahma cockeral has something strange on his leg that I just found today. Is this scaleyleg mite? Or a scrape? None of the pullets seem to have anything like this. Please take a look at this and let me know how I should treat.

It doesn't rub off easily like it would if it were poop and appears to be somewhat "stuck" to, or part of, his leg.

I'm getting new chicks tomorrow and I JUST got over cocci in these and it seems like I can't catch a break with them. Please advise!

Here's a pic off the Internet of a hen with scaly leg mites. You can literally see the scales lifting off where the mites have burrowed in. Your chicken looks more like something is stuck on it. Possibly dried blood, poo or dirt. I know you said it isn't coming off but my chickens get something similar on their combs. It's just dirt but it's almost impossible to get off for whatever reason. Also if it was mites more than one bird would most likely also have it. But just to be sure I would take some soapy water and a Scrub brush and gently Scrub his legs. Then either dip his legs in veggie oil or rub them with vaseline. This will suffocate any leg mites and add moisture back to the legs.

Last edited:

Here's a pic off the Internet of a hen with scaly leg mites. You can literally see the scales lifting off where the mites have burrowed in. Your chicken looks more like something is stuck on it. Possibly dried blood, poo or dirt. I know you said it isn't coming off but my chickens get something similar on their combs. It's just dirt but it's almost impossible to get off for whatever reason. Also if it was mites more than one bird would most likely also have it. But just to be sure I would take some soapy water and a Scrub brush and gently Scrub his legs. Then either dip his legs in veggie oil or rub them with vaseline. This will suffocate any leg mites and add moisture back to the legs.

Thank you!!! I will get right on it!

I wasn't completely sold on it being mites but I have a knack for jumping to worse possible conclusions. I did get some mite spray mixed up as a precautionary measure and when I was going out to spray around the coop, I discovered his leg. He isn't limping or anything. Just has the weird "stuff" on it. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom