Help settle disagreement with the wife: What to cover TOP of run with.

Here's our run: both the sides and top are covered with hardware cloth. I swear by it.

2593_p1010007.jpg

Hardware cloth - When we finish with our coop and build the run it is going to have 1/4" hardware cloth on the sides, a 3' apron buryed around the bottom and over the entire top. Expensive, yes, but anything bigger than an ant getting in is going to have to be carrying wire cutters!!!
lol.png

Agreed go with the big guns and prepare for an attack with animals that are very cunning and might learn to use tools. I used 2x4 welded wire with hardware cloth over that for added strength. Coons climb and will rip or chew apart netting and or chicken wire.

Our run is covered with chain link fencing over about a third of it and the other is covered with corrugated plastic roofing that is semi-transparent in an effort to block the harsh Arizona desert sun. I'm not so sure she's gonna win this one.
lol.png

Brad

My run is approx 30ft x 27ft and the entire thing is covered with deer netting. The hawks make a circle everyday but they have never ever even tried to come near the run. Yes, it was time consuming. My husband had to rig up boards to hook it to the fence, the garage and the coop but it has been 100% worth it. The entire project cost $15. I have never lost a single chicken to a predator nor do I ever plan to. I took out all the stops when building the coop and runs. Our coop is secure and is behind secure fencing - cemented into the ground with retaining wall bricks (4 deep) surrounding all of it - and covered in hardware cloth. Probably overkill but if something wants to dig in, it is going to have to work for it! I do inspect all the netting once a week and use tie wraps to keep any possible openings closed. We will most likely end up replacing it next summer as the sun does wear it out. We had snow and ice this year and lots and lots of wind. Not once did it let loose anywhere. I have a large patio umbrella in the very middle of the run for support. Securing and supporting it were the biggest challenges but it can be done.

Quote:
With a leaf blower pointed skyward??
big_smile.png

Seriously though we put up bird netting. I had considered shade cloth, but it's kinda pricey, and I was already waaay over budget on this project. I was initially concerned about coons chewing/tearing through the netting, but then I figured my peeps would be in their safe and secure coop at night, so if the coons chew through the netting at night, they'll come up with bupkus.

Rachel

Back
Top Bottom