Give her an Epsom salt bath to soften the crusties on her feathers spray some vetercin if her skin seems red and angry.
Do you have any other flock members showing signs?
Is she eating/drinking?
Do you feed a lot of treats?

I believe it may be a fungal infection. If you have some anti-fungal cream, I recommend smearing some on the vent. If you have a bottle of Nutri-Drench, which is a nutrient dense liquid for birds to drink, I would give a CC per 3 pounds every 8 hours for 3 days. Also, try equal parts water and white or apple cider vinagar in a syringe and give her an enema.

Sorry for your bird. I hope this info is helpful.

Oh no! I am very sorry about that.

Here is what I would do if I were you. Crack an egg into a bowl. If you have some Nutri-Drench, mix a splash in with it. A little sugar, not much will give her some energy. If you have electrolytes, add some as well. Make it into a slurry and suck it up into a syringe. Give her as much as she will drink. Be careful not to get any in her lungs. Just a drop in the beak at a time. Hopefully she will pull through for you. Prayers are sent to you.

Although the photos are poor quality, it's enough to show she merely has a poopy butt. Not vent gleet. And, as well intentioned as the suggestion is, DO NOT GIVE A CHICKEN AN ENEMA!!! It would risk pushing bacteria up into the reproductive tract which intersects with the cloaca.
BB686644-1C07-4857-915C-A2041F6233BA.jpeg

A photo of a recent poop sample would help a lot in figuring out what's going on.

How old is this hen? Is she currently laying? When was the last egg? Has she had any history of shell-less eggs or thin shell eggs? Tell us now what color her poop is, then post a photo as soon as is possible.

Is she currently eating and drinking? What is she eating?

Could she be starting to molt? Last year my hen had a terrible molt went half bald, wouldn’t eat but drank constantly. A stool sample came back clean… some one suggested scrambled eggs and warm sugar water , this perked her up and being as it was October I kept her in the feed room in the barn were it was warm.

Took over 5 weeks before her feathers came back in and she started eating regular feed.

Back
Top Bottom