Help sex my 10 wk old mutts - pic heavy

Melty

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 26, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
OK Ive driven myself nuts trying to guess! I think I have one roo but then he looks the same shape in body and gets bossed around and eats last normally. Ive had them since a week old and they all grew at the same rate.
They are light sussex (dad) x orph x leghorn mix (mum) and from what Ive read those breeds the girls have large combs as well?
Hopefully the pics are an alright size. They got snotty with me so I couldnt get side body views.

Hens014.jpg

Hens016.jpg

Hens013.jpg

Hens019.jpg

Hens020.jpg

Hens018.jpg

Hens024.jpg

Hens023.jpg

Hens022.jpg

Hens027.jpg

Hens026.jpg

Hens025.jpg

Hens029.jpg

Hens031.jpg

Hens030.jpg

At ten weeks they ought to have a pretty prominant comb on a roo esp. straight combs so I'd guess they are pullets. Unless you have a very slow maturing male. with the multiple breed crosses they are its just hard for me to say the sexes for sure, maybe a couple more weeks it'll be a little more defined.

Quote:
Yes fairly sure they are, I was told they were a week old when I got them. do they look younger or older?

Im so glad noone has said 4 roos yet
th.gif
lol.png

They sure are pretty - I especially like the back feathers on #1.

I think these are hard ones to sex. They have bright red wattles (which my pullets did not have till much older), but on the other hand, they have small combs.

As for the age; They probably would not have had many feathers at all if they were 1 week old when you got them - maybe just their wing feathers & possibly a few more feathers at the shoulder.

Last edited:
Yes they were half fluff half feather crazy looking things when I got them.
And I think they are cute, well not so cute when they manage to get in the lounge and poop everywhere
sickbyc.gif
they seem to think they own the house. So heres hoping all four are egg layers to make up for it.
fl.gif

Looks like Ill have to update in a month or wait for a dawn wake up call. Thanks everyone.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom