Help sex my ducks!

Hannah Weston

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2016
Seneca Falls, New York
Hi everybody! I'm quite new to having ducks and I've had my 2 ducks for about 16 weeks now. I really would like to know for sure their gender. I've looked up how to sex ducks by their "quack" and from what I can tell, my Black Swedish, Quackers, sounds like a female and my KC, Phelps, sounds like a male (though I thought KC drakes had the green head?). Please help!

Harsh Loud Quack=Female Much softer quack,almost sounds like the bird has a cold=Male. Unless they have molted their juvinile feathers, there will be no curly tail feathers on a drake until they get their mature feathers. Mine are 16 weeks old and the molting has been going on for at least month and they STILL arent thru with it yet......

Harsh Loud Quack=Female   Much softer quack,almost sounds like the bird has a cold=Male. Unless they have molted their juvinile feathers, there will be no curly tail feathers on a drake until they get their mature feathers. Mine are 16 weeks old and the molting has been going on for at least month and they STILL arent thru with it yet......

Thanks! Then it does sound like my KC is the male and my Black Swede is a female...

This will cause a tither...My Rouen hen is 4 months. She is a hen...She has no quack, hardly a whisper. No green on her head or a ring around her throat. My little Call Duck drake loves her and wants her for himself. I was told she may quack as she gets older? Or maybe mute? Her sounds are not the same as a Drakes...She gurgles a bit or lightly honks.
I rescued her along with another hen two weeks ago. She came from a flock of birds that were attacked by a fox. Her case could be her voice box was damaged but she had no visible injuries after the attack. She is just a hen with no quack. Not yet any ways?

This will cause a tither...My Rouen hen is 4 months. She is a hen...She has no quack, hardly a whisper. No green on her head or a ring around her throat. My little Call Duck drake loves her and wants her for himself. I was told she may quack as she gets older? Or maybe mute? Her sounds are not the same as a Drakes...She gurgles a bit or lightly honks.
I rescued her along with another hen two weeks ago. She came from a flock of birds that were attacked by a fox. Her case could be her voice box was damaged but she had no visible injuries after the attack. She is just a hen with no quack. Not yet any ways?

That's what I was thinking at first as my Campbell is not very vocal. She/he's usually most vocal when I'm leaving their enclosure/ their pond or coming to see them and when that happens, it's quite a raspy, low sound. I'll definitely pay more attention when I go out to see them in a bit. Thanks for the feedback!

That's what I was thinking at first as my Campbell is not very vocal. She/he's usually most vocal when I'm leaving their enclosure/ their pond or coming to see them and when that happens, it's quite a raspy, low sound. I'll definitely pay more attention when I go out to see them in a bit. Thanks for the feedback!
Yeah....Its not a true science that all hens quack....A Duck breeder I talked with said some hens never really quack and then some never shut up...Haha!
Sounds like some friends of mine?....Haha!
You will figure it out soon enough....Good luck and love your DUCKS!...... I DO....

Back
Top Bottom