Help Sexing 12 week old Ameraucana

elland

Hatching
May 14, 2020
Hi All!

12 weeks ago we got several day-old chicks including a "female" Ameraucana. We noticed that it has always been much larger than the others, but didn't really think anything of it, as we've never raised Ameraucanas from chicks before. However, as we are reaching the 12 week mark, we are starting to get pretty nervous that this pullet is actually a cockerel -- curved tail, still way bigger than the others, etc. I've attached some pictures here and hope that you guys can help me determine whether it is a cockerel or pullet. I haven't had a rooster/cockerel before so I am not entirely sure of the signs.

Pic 1:
IMG_2454.jpg

Pic 2:
IMG_2458.jpg

Thanks in advance!!

Hi All!

12 weeks ago we got several day-old chicks including a "female" Ameraucana. We noticed that it has always been much larger than the others, but didn't really think anything of it, as we've never raised Ameraucanas from chicks before. However, as we are reaching the 12 week mark, we are starting to get pretty nervous that this pullet is actually a cockerel -- curved tail, still way bigger than the others, etc. I've attached some pictures here and hope that you guys can help me determine whether it is a cockerel or pullet. I haven't had a rooster/cockerel before so I am not entirely sure of the signs.

Pic 1:
View attachment 2140248

Pic 2:
View attachment 2140250

Thanks in advance!!

Beautiful Cockerel!!!!

Thanks everyone for your responses. I thought it looked like a cockerel but wasn't sure. Now to figure out what to do with him as we aren't allowed roosters in city limits....

Any ideas besides trying to find a good home for him? I will be so sad to lose him -- he has such a great personality.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I thought it looked like a cockerel but wasn't sure. Now to figure out what to do with him as we aren't allowed roosters in city limits....

Any ideas besides trying to find a good home for him? I will be so sad to lose him -- he has such a great personality.
You could put him on craigslist. Where i live, there is a lot of people that puts their farm animals on there. Especially people who have a lot of roosters and drakes when they are trying to decrease their flock.

Back
Top Bottom