1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help sexing muscovy's

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CritterCatcher, Oct 2, 2010.

1. CritterCatcher

CritterCatcher Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    Hastings, Ontario
    hi guys/girls

ok i could use some help... my wife and I are fairly new to chickens and we are having fun with them...well a few weeks ago a guy we know gave us 2 male muscovy's there brothers and get along fine ...now tomorrow we are going to get some females from a young lad....but he dont sound real sure if he knows what ones are male or female. he has 30 to pick from....
    ..I have no clue how to tell the difference..(beside's trying to fine the obvious, and i am not sure it would be the obvious..[​IMG] lol)

we are going to pick up 12 from him ...we want 6 for the farm and 6 are going to freezer camp...
    CC.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  2. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    How old are they ? Males are about twice the size of the girls. If that helps any. If they are very young it will be hard to tell, but if they are young pick out the ones with smaller legs and feet..other than that, [​IMG] unless you know how to vent sex them.

3. CritterCatcher

Aug 30, 2010
    Hastings, Ontario
    sorry I should of said they are 4 months old
    CC

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  4. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    OK. look for the smaller ones, they should also have smaller feet and a more rounded head, shorter in the length of the body and tail.
    I wish you had pics we all here(BYC Scovie Peeps) could probably pick them out for you...LOL

5. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    At 16 weeks you should easily be able to tell the difference. Females will be smaller and dantier, wheras males will be twice the size and longer, broader, thicker throughout. Perhaps the breeder will be able to help show you the difference?

6. CritterCatcher

Aug 30, 2010
    Hastings, Ontario
    thanks for the help ..i will post a few pic's in a few min's i will start a thread call ......"new ducks...thanks for the help"
    CC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by