Help sexing my youngsters!

soloequestrian

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2019
Hi, I'm hoping all the experience on this forum will help me accurately sex my 8-week old chickens. I've attached pictures of them (well, I hope I have, not very technically minded....). My araucana hen went broody in the spring so I got her a selection of eggs to hatch. She has successfully raised 5 chicks, of four different breeds. What sex do you think they all are?
Many thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• Sexing chicks.pdf
    853.7 KB · Views: 15
I'll try to add the pictures individually here - they're all in the pdf but perhaps that's not so easy to look at?
Managed to upload one picture that shows Lakenvelder and the two Vorwerks. Can't seem to upload a second picture so will go to another post...

Attachments

• IMG_4410 (2).JPG
    IMG_4410 (2).JPG
    379.6 KB · Views: 14
And the lavender araucana.
All these with extras are in the first pdf file though - hope lots of you will look at them for me!!

Attachments

• IMG_4412.JPG
    IMG_4412.JPG
    499.3 KB · Views: 12
The Barnevelder is a pullet. Need a clear pic of the Araucana’s comb. The three pictured together, (Lakenvelder and Vorwerks?), are cockerels.

Rats, I was really hoping the Lakenvelder was a girl! It's such a beautiful bird. Here is the best picture I have of the araucana's comb. None of them have been handled so it's difficult to get very close.

Attachments

• Ar1.jpg
    Ar1.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 11
Rats, I was really hoping the Lakenvelder was a girl! It's such a beautiful bird. Here is the best picture I have of the araucana's comb. None of them have been handled so it's difficult to get very close.

Araucana is a pullet. You can tell the ‘3’ are cockerels because of the large red combs. Even pullets of Mediterranean breeds (like Leghorns) don’t grow large red combs until they are laying. Pullet reddening usually starts from 16 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom