Fleeherflock23

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2023
My wife and I ordered baby chicks, supposed to be all female, and we are on day 3 of raising them. Now that our chicks are more comfortable being held, we started trying to look at their wings to determine sex. We absolutely are not able to keep a rooster as it is not allowed in our city. Would you help me out and confirm if this is a hen or rooster. I will be so sad if they sold us a male. :(
F526E00C-1EE8-4409-9293-115BCF158607.jpeg
5EB51719-5814-492D-986C-68D4B2E7AC50.jpeg

As far as I know, there are very few breeds that can be sexed via the wing feathers (if any at all) and even those need to be done within 48hrs of hatch. What breed(s) did you get? You likely won't be able to tell whether they are pullets or cockerels for at least a few weeks.
Thank you for your response! That is great information. To be honest I don’t even know what breeds they are. I got an egg production pack from TSC website and they were shipped. The fun part was supposed to be guessing but it’s a lot harder then we expected LOL.

Thank you for your response! That is great information. To be honest I don’t even know what breeds they are. I got an egg production pack from TSC website and they were shipped. The fun part was supposed to be guessing but it’s a lot harder then we expected LOL.
Our babies! 🥰🐥

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 7
Our babies! 🥰🐥
What breed are they?... They are the super cute breed!! Congrats on your fluffy butts.
Early indicators of the beginnings of cockerels are bigger/redder combs and bigger chicks then all the rest. Another is a very curious/friendly chick. First one to greet you and out going....Not always the case but good first inclination you might have a boy.
After a few weeks start looking for long thin feathers in the saddle and hackle. (Not rounded)

What breed are they?... They are the super cute breed!! Congrats on your fluffy butts.
Early indicators of the beginnings of cockerels are bigger/redder combs and bigger chicks then all the rest. Another is a very curious/friendly chick. First one to greet you and out going....Not always the case but good first inclination you might have a boy.
After a few weeks start looking for long thin feathers in the saddle and hackle. (Not rounded)
Oh I did not know about any of those indicators! Thank you so much. I will keep an eye out. We are so so happy. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom