1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Help Shell less Egg again....when do I start to worry....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by winekntrychicks, Oct 3, 2008.

1. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have 6 girls. One for sure is laying good eggs regularly. I think not sure I have another laying once every few days. I have another that gave 2 shell less eggs the same day from the roost a week ago and found another one this morning. All shell less eggs have been on the floor. My girls are 23 weeks old today. Should I be worried about the shell less eggs or give them time to mature....all replies are appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Songster

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    What does a shell less egg look like?

3. Nemo

Nemo Songster

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Quote:Ummm... Take an egg, crack it, and dump the insides out unto the floor.

Our Buff Orps just started laying this week, and we got our first shell-less egg this morning. Luckily, it dropped into the poop-pit, so they couldn't get at it.

4. s6bee

s6bee Songster

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Give them free access to Oyster shell. You can find it at Tractor supply. I assume now they are laying you have them on layer feed? If not get them on it. Plus the oyster shell.

5. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    The are on "flock raiser" with oyster shells "at will"[​IMG]
    My shell less eggs may have shells but very little. They look like little water ballons. I am assuming the "shell" is just the inside membrane.....any more thoughts???? [​IMG]

6. Cason

Cason Songster

I had a buff orpington that did that for the (short) duration of her life. She was on lay mash, free access to oyster shell.. you name it. After ~ six months of that I culled her- but it took awhile. You see, I had 8 buff orpington hens, and had no clue as to which one was the culprit. Finally began separating them..

7. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have had one of my hens lay 5 shelless in a row then she finally gave up a hardshell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: