1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help should I just leave well enough alone.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KinderKar, May 18, 2009.

1. KinderKar

KinderKar Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    H i I am in need of some advice. Day 18 of my hatch would have fallen on a weekend and I could not get into the school to take them out of the turner. So the farm I got the eggs from said to just remove them from the turner on the 17th day and they will be okay which I though was Friday. Well I did not realize that due to the time of day I originally put them in the incubator Friday was really the 16th day. Today when I came into work I noticed that the temp was around 97 or so due to a cold spell over night. The whole time is has consistently run at 100-101. I raised the temp and its now at 98/99 I was wondering if I should just keep making sure the bottom is filled with water, and leave well enough alone. Or should I Turn them once more since yesterday was really day 18. Any help would be appreciated.

2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Add water do not turn, they may be a day or two late hatching due to the temp drop

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    I would turn them once then go for bator lockdown.

Or don't turn them--- They will probably be fine.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  4. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    I would leave them alone. Good luck on the hatch and don't forget to keep us updated. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Lov'emSouthernEggs

Lov'emSouthernEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    East Carolina
    Leave them be.

I would bet they will be fine. I wouldn't worry about the temp either. My bator temp changes through out the incubation and I hatched 3 of 5 eggs. That's good odds. hang in there!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. lovin'mychicks

lovin'mychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    I just wanted to offer and encouraging word!!

I have had power outages during my last two hatches on day 17 when the temp dropped to 97 with a 100% hatch and living rate (also no developmental problems)

and also on day 19 where the temp droped to about 90 and I had 10 out of 11 eggs hatch.

THERE IS HOPE!!!:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by