HELP! Should I separate them?

songbird

Songster
14 Years
Feb 16, 2009
New England
Hi everyone! I hope you can help my little mille fleur d'uccle bantam fuzzball. The chickies arrived at the post office this morning (unexpectedly, a day early). One of the chickies looked poorly, squooshed in the corner, weak, eyes closed. As the day has progressed, she continued to be listless. I tried to give her some water, some food, but no real response. Then, I noticed that the others were picking on her. I mean, they were all pecking everything and everyone's beaks, eyes, and toes. But when they pecked at her, she'd fall over. Everyone that walked past her, pecked at her feet, and I noticed that they both were bloody. There was also a problem with the waterer - somehow they totally soaked the cage, so this baby and several others were really wet. She was freezing and shivering. I held her to the heat lamp until she dried, then kept her in my hand for a long time. I know handling isn't great for them at this age, but it's where she wanted to be. She repeatedly climbed into my hand and huddled for warmth.
So, my question is, What do I do? Do I have to separate her from the others? Should I put one other little one in with her for company? I just bought a second heat lamp, feeder, and waterer, but when I went to split them up, she actually looked pretty good. She was up, fluffy, and eating.
Any input is greatly appreciated! This is alllll new to me!

I'm surely not an expert at all, but I would separate her based on what you described. However you should put an old (not currently in use) stuffed animal in the brooder with her. If she's doing better than you are doing what's right. Good luck, and post pics!

If she is doing well and the others are leaving her alone then great, hopefully she will just recover.
If she is really not doing well and/or the other chicks are really pecking at her then probably best to separate her.
I had to do it with a sick chick and was told to if possible put another chick in with the sick one for company. This would only work with your situation if that chick wasn't attacking the weak one. If they are really bent on attacking her then it may mean she is not well enough to make it and they are reacting to that.
Sounds like she needs warmth too. Good luck!

Thanks everyone,
I just finished building my brooder box (after all, they were supposed to arrive today, not yesterday) and I built it so that I can partition off part of the box. It's pretty big. I think I'm going to separate out the bantams from the standards, so the weak one, and another bantie that is pretty weak, will have each other, but will be safe from competition and pecking from the more robust bigger chicks. Does this sound like a reasonable idea? I'm new to this, so I appreciate any help that anyone has to offer!

Back
Top Bottom