Help!! showgirl lost a leg! *Update* 10-22-08

the penecilin bottle says to treat daily for 3-4 days so am I not soposed to give her electrolyts till the end of the 4th day?

I don't have any good advice, I just wanted to say how sorry I was that hapened to you and your poor chicken... I am sending you some irish good luck
smile.png

My mom had a pet rooster when she was young that had a leg that was chewed off by a rat. She loved that rooster and he lead a good life until he could no longer bear weight on the one leg. She carried it everywhere and was spoiled. Good Luck with whatever decision you make
hugs.gif

When we moved into our place the former owners left a bunch of free range chickens and ducks. One chicken had one of her legs heading in the opposite direction, so she just hopped on the one pointed forward. she did fine. Our daughter named her "Bouncy"

Oh man!!!
ep.gif
the pain she must have been!! Sounds like a tough little girl. I don't have any advise on treating her but sounds like you have gotten lots of good advice already. Just wanted to say that I will say a little prayer for her for an uneventful recovery. Can we see apicture of her?

I hope your girl is doing alright; what a tragedy. Chickens are amazingly hardy though, still should she survive you will also need to be aware that she will potentially be more susceptible to predation and picking by the other chickens. Just food for thought.
Also, something we learned the first time giving a breast muscle injection to a chicken...watch out that you inject into the muscle and NOT the crop. Poor bird had diarrhea pretty quick but then showed immediate turn around when we properly injected her the next morning. The things you learn.....and we're both in the medical profession. Go figure
th.gif

Quote:
It's a tragedy that didn't have to happen. I feel sorry for the OP, and especially for her bird, but this is just another example of why chain link fencing is no good for a chicken run.

Maybe the dog should have been chained up, but in the long run, predators will be predators and we have to be vigilant and protective. The dog was just doing what comes naturally.

i have a friend that has a one-legged hen and she seems to hop around fine (dogs too) but he said it was more of a "bite" than a "rip"
sickbyc.gif
but she hops around fine
lau.gif
but I'm sure every case would be different you may want to trim the foot feathers though
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom