HELP- shrink wrapped chick already pipped for almost 24 hours

Let her be overnight I would say. You need a better way to keep things moist, I think maybe Vaseline is recommended? Since it’s not inside an incubator you have no good way to control the humidity. The wash cloth idea makes sense and I did it once myself but it will cool off and can make her cold when that happens.

They tend to make a large hole in the shell like it appears in the photos when they can’t turn. The zipping is more a straight line around as they keep it moving. But the chirping helps them absorb and close so I would just let her do what she’s gonna do for tonight and then help her in the morning following the directions in the linked thread. Read it a few times before you start. The key is going slow.

I have only helped twice and the first time, she was too weak and I swore I wouldn’t do it again as I had to cull. This last hatch I did a successful assist and she’s doing well and I forgot which one she is in the bunch. I had one also that hatched late and I didn’t assist but he didn’t close all the way so he had to be in chick ICU while it healed and he is still half the others’ size at 5.5 weeks now - spunky, though! He was totally quiet till he fully came out of his shell. I would take yours chirping a lot as a good sign that she’s absorbing and closing.

It’s a judgment call and you just never know how it will pan out so hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Keep us posted!

Edit: Just saw the update that she’s zipped halfway now! That’s great!

20220523_201559.jpg
20220523_202746.jpg

Last edited:
She did it a lot more, I think she is trying to hatch, can I help her? She seems to be struggling. She is chirping a lot more. She has been pretty quiet most of the day but she is moving around in her egg and chirping.
Please tell me what happened, i just read this whole story and i feel very connected now. i hope it worked out....

Please tell me what happened, i just read this whole story and i feel very connected now. i hope it worked out....
Vanilla had been pipped in her shell for about 23 hours before hatching. She was the last of the chicks to hatch in this batch. We had problems with the first chick hatching with the broody and getting injured and rejected and then chewed on by a dog so we had taken her in(she did survive) and then the second chick hatched fine under the broody but as the 3rd was hatching we brought her in with the last egg to hatch inside under a heat lamp. The 3rd chick got out alright but this particular chick took its sweet time getting out of the shell and the membrane appeared dry from being exposed for so long. We were getting worried that she might not make it out on her own and that she was shrink wrapped. It was coming up on about 10 o clock and she still hadn't hatched but then she began to push through the hole and continue around the egg until she finally made it out. We put her in the brooder with the injured chick so that the other two wouldn't step on her or peck at her. We left her to dry overnight and sleep and she seemed to do fine with donut (the chick she was with). After a few days she was up and acting normal, we put her with the other two healthy chicks. We ended up getting 10 new chicks soon after they hatched and we moved them all out to the garage together in a dog crate after a couple weeks. They were later transferred to a pen inside the garage for a few more weeks. Once they grew too big for that we moved them outside to a brand new coop that is connected to the pen of our adult flock but divided by a fence so they get used to each other but are out of danger. Vanilla loves to be let outside with her flock and has gained a special bond with her hatchmate, Donut. They are always together and sleep next to each other on their roost (on top of course). They often get into little fights(?) Where they fluff their necks out and stare at each other for a few seconds but she seems to be happy and healthy and we're glad that she was able to hatch safely by herself without us needing to help. The picture attached is little Vanilla out in the yard yesterday.

Attachments

• 20220808_092716.jpg
    20220808_092716.jpg
    596.1 KB · Views: 9
Vanilla had been pipped in her shell for about 23 hours before hatching. She was the last of the chicks to hatch in this batch. We had problems with the first chick hatching with the broody and getting injured and rejected and then chewed on by a dog so we had taken her in(she did survive) and then the second chick hatched fine under the broody but as the 3rd was hatching we brought her in with the last egg to hatch inside under a heat lamp. The 3rd chick got out alright but this particular chick took its sweet time getting out of the shell and the membrane appeared dry from being exposed for so long. We were getting worried that she might not make it out on her own and that she was shrink wrapped. It was coming up on about 10 o clock and she still hadn't hatched but then she began to push through the hole and continue around the egg until she finally made it out. We put her in the brooder with the injured chick so that the other two wouldn't step on her or peck at her. We left her to dry overnight and sleep and she seemed to do fine with donut (the chick she was with). After a few days she was up and acting normal, we put her with the other two healthy chicks. We ended up getting 10 new chicks soon after they hatched and we moved them all out to the garage together in a dog crate after a couple weeks. They were later transferred to a pen inside the garage for a few more weeks. Once they grew too big for that we moved them outside to a brand new coop that is connected to the pen of our adult flock but divided by a fence so they get used to each other but are out of danger. Vanilla loves to be let outside with her flock and has gained a special bond with her hatchmate, Donut. They are always together and sleep next to each other on their roost (on top of course). They often get into little fights(?) Where they fluff their necks out and stare at each other for a few seconds but she seems to be happy and healthy and we're glad that she was able to hatch safely by herself without us needing to help. The picture attached is little Vanilla out in the yard yesterday.
Awesome update! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom