HELP- shrink wrapped chick already pipped for almost 24 hours

Mar 9, 2022
Three of our four eggs hatched a couple days ago under our broody. She has rejected the first chick who had gotten an injury so we brought her in to be raised by us rather than the hen, and we did so with the other two eggs that hatched. Yesterday evening the fourth egg (laid a day later than the others) pipped and we brought the egg in and put it under the heat lamp for overnight with the injured chick. Around 4 hours or so ago, the shell around the pip came off, exposing the membrane with a slight bit of blood on it and a tear. About an hour ago I broke off a piece of the exposed membrane that had been broken through and noticed that she was shrink wrapped. I think she is ready to hatch since she pipped almost 24 hours ago. Would returning her to the broody help her hatch? If not should I try to help her hatch and how? I don't know what to do.

20220523_181105.jpg

20220523_181327.jpg

describe what you're seeing, it might not be shrink wrapped.
The broody isn't going to help, you might have to if necessary
I pulled off another small piece of shell to get a better view and the membrane underneath was dried out. It looks like there is a thin layer of membrane or something else? The thin red line looks like a vein.
20220523_182957.jpg

You can dampen the membrane with clean water or oil. The chick is still absorbing the veins and possibly the yolk.
I have wrapped her in a wash cloth that I soaked with warm water and moved the heat lamp closer to her. It has almost been 24 hours since her pip, when should she be done absorbing everything? Earlier she had been poking at the membrane, and was poking her beaks through the hole I made, but has not made an effort to get out since then. Does she appear to be shrink wrapped? Is she going to need help after she is done absorbing or is she going to be fine on her own.
20220523_190901.jpg

Last edited:
The chick moved her head and created another crack in the shell just above the hole a few moments ago. A little bit ago I saw the new crack move slightly. Does this mean she is ready and is trying to get out, or was she maybe just stretching? She seemed to have cracked it quite easily so is she just not ready?
20220523_192947.jpg

She pushed another piece of the shell, which fell off, but she couldnt seem to get past the membrane. She continued to try to push with her beak and it looks like she is trying to get out. Should I help?

Attachments

• 20220523_194617.jpg
    20220523_194617.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 17
She did it a lot more, I think she is trying to hatch, can I help her? She seems to be struggling. She is chirping a lot more. She has been pretty quiet most of the day but she is moving around in her egg and chirping.

Attachments

• 20220523_194954.jpg
    20220523_194954.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 16
Have you read this?
Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

Preface If you need immediate instructions on how to assist a hatch, you may skip this section and go to the next one, where the instructions are. To start with, I want to address the fact that some people think assisting during a hatch is wrong. I respect the decision to not help during a...

Back
Top Bottom