Help: Sick 6w old chick

RobinS1217

Songster
Aug 7, 2022
Eastern TN
Hi, hope I can get some help. I have a GLW chick about 6w who is acting off. We just got home from a 9day trip. We had a friend helping with our birds. This particular bird has been in a brooder coop with one friend. It is outdoors, covered, and mostly shaded. They eat organic chick crumbles and fresh water daily. My friend said she noticed 2 days in a row the feed hadn’t been touched. We came home and first thing I cleaned and readied a bigger run and coop for the 2 of them. The other bird is pecking eating drinking and happy. However, GLW is standing around, puffed up, tail droopy and not eating. Just still. Slowly blinking. I got some nutri dense in her. I’ve seen her drink water once. Her crop feels a little mushy but also somewhat just empty- not a full mushy crop (I’ve dealt with sour and impact in older birds). Haven’t seen her poop. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_9314.jpeg
    IMG_9314.jpeg
    544.8 KB · Views: 196
Whats the temp?
if its too cold , especially at night, low temperatures are a hazard.

It can be something else too. Somekind of infection or parasites? Sometimes a film on YouTube makes. It clearer.

Whats the temp?
if its too cold , especially at night, low temperatures are a hazard.

It can be something else too. Somekind of infection or parasites? Sometimes a film on YouTube makes. It clearer.
It’s between 70 at night and 90 during the day. She has ample shade and water. Could she still need a heat lamp?

Have you given her a physical examination? This requires you to check her skin, legs, bottom of feet, inside her mouth and also the smell check. To rule out an external infection.

She's old enough not to be locked up all day and night. Plus based on your description of the person taking care of your birds. She might have inhaled to much ammonia from there droppings which could make them sick. I'm guessing your caretaker wasn't there everyday?

If you know she hasn't eaten for a couple of days. You have to force feed her, start with a raw egg yolk only, no whites every 3 hours for 1 day. This will provide protein and vitamins and help to encourage her to eat her food. I would recommend fermenting your feed to make it easier on her digestive tract for faster nutrient absorbtion.

She's old enough not to be locked up all day and night. Plus based on your description of the person taking care of your birds. She might have inhaled to much ammonia from there droppings which could make them sick. I'm guessing your caretaker wasn't there everyday?
She was here every night to give fresh water and feed. She did not do any cleaning as a bio security measure as the friend also has chickens. It was 9 days without cleaning but is open air so plenty of ventilation. Could the ammonia still be a risk? She is now in a 4x8 run on grass with a 36x24x18 coop (sharing with one other chick her same age).

If you know she hasn't eaten for a couple of days. You have to force feed her, start with a raw egg yolk only, no whites every 3 hours for 1 day. This will provide protein and vitamins and help to encourage her to eat her food. I would recommend fermenting your feed to make it easier on her digestive tract for faster nutrient absorbtion.
Should I feed her a yolk now? They’ll go to bed in 30 minutes.

Have you given her a physical examination? This requires you to check her skin, legs, bottom of feet, inside her mouth and also the smell check. To rule out an external infection.
Skin feet and legs look fine. I don’t notice a smell. Her crop feels somewhat soft but again, more of an empty not a mushy. inside her mouth is pale.

Is any feed capable of being fermented?

Back
Top Bottom