Sick RIR, help?

asparkyspark

Hatching
Apr 12, 2024
My 2 year old RIR girl is under the weather. We have no vet to see that will see chickens nearby. A few weeks ago she had an impacted crop and we treated that and she went back to normal until this week. I’ve been checking her crop everyday again and it hasn’t been impacted again. No signs of sour crop either. No bad smells, no squishy crop. Her comb and wattles are staying red and large. She eats a little bit here and there. She’s obsessed with drinking water that’s on the ground though. Doesn’t want what’s in the waterer unless you dump some out and then she’s all over it. We have some snow melt she’s gobbling up too.

She’s having diarrhea like in the first photo, she also has a dirty butt but she’s refusing to roost and will only sleep in a nesting box. I’ve attached a photo of her hunched up and diarrhea in the doorway of the coop and a photo of her butt. I was worried about vent gleet but there’s no odor like I’ve been told there should be.

I know my girls are a bit old to worry about coccidosis but there’s been a few droppings with slight blood tinge so they’re all on 5 days of corid right now and we’re worming our flock for the first time with the safeguard goat wormer orally for 5 days…I’m hoping it’s just maybe she’s got some worm infestation from eating dirty snow melt. We live very rural and have all kinds of wild birds they could come across when free ranging.

I’m trying to cover all the basis I can handle at home but, any ideas what might be going on/that I’m not already trying?

Attachments

• IMG_7658.jpeg
    IMG_7658.jpeg
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7663.jpeg
    IMG_7663.jpeg
    977.8 KB · Views: 8
What country are you in? Your hen probably has an infection and could use an antibiotic. Do you have any people prescriptions on hand?

What country are you in? Your hen probably has an infection and could use an antibiotic. Do you have any people prescriptions on hand?
I’m in the US. I don’t think I have any antibiotics on hand currently. I could get penicillin from work on Monday but that’s the soonest I could get any human antibiotics. I can try calling vets on Monday to see if any will at least get us antibiotics if they won’t see her as a patient.

Penicillin would work, but I find amoxicillin more effective. The dose would be 250mg twice a day for ten days. Ask a vet for the prescription and assure them you will assume responsibility for treatment.

Penicillin would work, but I find amoxicillin more effective. The dose would be 250mg twice a day for ten days. Ask a vet for the prescription and assure them you will assume responsibility for treatment.
Thank you! I will get ahold of some vets Monday and if worse comes to worse the doctor I work for can get me amoxicillin and help me titrate the dose 😊

Update: We were able to get antibiotics for my sick hen but it appears she has ascites/water belly and we will have to cull her this weekend so she doesn’t suffer any longer. I think she’s too far gone to attempt to drain the fluid for relief.

Back
Top Bottom