HELP, Sick 8 week old Rouen duck

MommaDuk

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 22, 2014
I have 2 Rouen ducklings that were doing great until recently. 1, which I believe is a male seems completely healthy, growing well, happy, drinks and eats plenty, etc. The other, which I believe is a female, has recently started losing the down on the top of her head. This was the only symptom until this morning. I noticed that she has suddenly stopped eating and drinking, she also only walks very short distances and is pretty slow and wobbly. I have no idea what to do and we are snowed in. I am planning to add a bit of Apple Cider Vinegar to their water, but she's not drinking so I don't know that that would do much of anything for her. I have a syringe that I can give her water through. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated, google is of no help to me right now.

Have you been giving them extra niacin? Most feed doesn't have enough for ducks, and they can exhibit weakness and neurological symptoms when/if they become deficient. You can buy it at many stores, just be sure not to get the "slow-release" kind.

You can also get Sav-a-Chick at TSC or your feed store and just add it to water. I think it is recommended that you switch to 2 waters tho, one with the S-A-C added, and one plain water (or plain water +ACV). Otherwise, exams feed, environment, and temperatures, to see if those could be possible causes. Hopefully the Niacin should do the trick, and within 3-5 days you will know. HTH

Right now since you are snowed in, do you have any B-vitamin capsules? I am not a vet, don't want to go too far out on a limb, but if it is a niacin problem, then I want to tell you niacin is B3, and you can also get some extra niacin from sardines packed in water with no extra salt. Brewer's yeast is also a source of niacin.

Some kind of vitamins in addition to the ACV is what I would look into.

But you don't want to overdo. Some use poly-vi-sol for vitamins. I would think the instructions would give you a good idea for how much poly vi sol per pound of critter.

By the way - forgot to mention that Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks recommends 100 to 150 mg of niacin per gallon of water for symptoms of deficiency. That might help if you have some B complex or even niacin capsules around.

Back
Top Bottom