Help - Sick chick, 4 weeks old

The best way to check crop function is for the bird to not have any food/water overnight, then see if the crop has emptied. (Full night's sleep)

If the crop is not empty/flat in the morning, then addressing that symptom would be a very good idea.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you, I found that article yesterday which is how I learned of trying the coconut oil and massage, which helped immensely. I just don’t think her crop fit the description of either condition so unsure!

Will withhold food and water today to check function tomorrow. Thanks!

Thank you, I found that article yesterday which is how I learned of trying the coconut oil and massage, which helped immensely. I just don’t think her crop fit the description of either condition so unsure!

Will withhold food and water today to check function tomorrow. Thanks!
Never withhold water during waking hours.
You can withhold feed if you wish during waking hours, but the best way is to let them eat during waking hours. Check the crop when it's lights out, then re-check after a night's sleep.

Sorry I wasn’t clear, but that’s what I meant… that I’d withhold food and water overnight. Her crop was empty in the morning.

I’m pleased to say she is back to full health and doing really well now, thanks again for you guidance!

Back
Top Bottom