help sick chick? failure to thrive perhaps?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by midd2005, Jul 31, 2010.

1. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    i have a 6 day old light brahma in a flock of 8 brahmas and barred rocks who hasn't been doing very well the last couple of days. yesterday morning i noticed she was just sorta standing around, eyes drooping, while the rest were going crazy around her. i kept checking back in every hour or so for a few hours before i started putting her in my lap and feeding her from a spoon. as her head would bob downwards in tiredness, her beak would hit the spoon and she would pop her head up and glug a bit down. after doing this about every half hour for a little while, she would go back in with the rest and would be suddenly quite interested in food and would eat eat eat, mostly of the spilled stuff off the ground but occasionally out of the feeder too. but still she ignored the 3 nipple waterers. mind you, the first couple days they were all drinking out of the nipple waterers without a problem. so i kept manually giving her water. towards the end of the night yesterday she seemed much more energetic and i saw her take a drink or two on her own. this morning she is back to yesterday mornings behavior and i'm back to manually watering her. when she gets water in her, she seems to have more energy for a little while. she will eat and then take a nap. but if i don't water her, she is back to just standing around.

the other thing she is doing is trilling like crazy at times. she will just be eating and trilling or trilling and walking around. it does not sound like a happy cheep that is for sure. but there is also nothing actually scaring her.

also, none of the chicks are picking on her or keeping her from either food or water.

her poop is either small but relatively normal or just a couple flecks of stuff and a load of water, i presume that is what chick diarrhea looks like?

at this point she is looking smaller than the rest of the light brahmas though her feathers seem to be growing in like theirs.

my husband and i have surmised that maybe she has a fever, though i feel like that would make her more thirsty and she neither avoids nor is particularly attracted to the light. i dunno.

any suggestions?

2. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i gave my smallest chick nutridrench in her water .. and put the water into her crumbles and made a mush for her to eat . that way she got her vitamins and food and water all at once.. we did it for 5 days then she took off on her own.. you can get the nutridrench at the tractor supply store or you can use some other vitamin/eletrolyte med.she is now 9 mos and one of the largest of my 22 hens.. sorry adding more.. if the poop is water she is not getting enough to eat. she is starving so feed her about every hour till her crop is full

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Yes, some added vitamins and electrolytes would help, anything, really! I had a hen that would not stand up, move, do anything, I gave her vitamins and electrolytes for a few days and now she's fine. And I am not a big believer in that sort of thing, but it does work wonders!

4. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    She may not be getting enough hydration via the nipple waterer. After you give her water...she perks up right?? Put a regular waterer in there & see if that makes a difference. Sometimes they just don't "get" the nipple waterers. Even if she did before, they get dehydrated & then don't bother to try. It's worth a shot I guess.

5. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    ok, well i tried putting in a normal waterer and very against her will stuck her beak in it. so far she just isn't interested.

it's really like she doesn't want water. she doesnt want it when i'm holding it in front of her space in a spoon either.

i'll have a look around for vitamins but this is hawaii and sometimes it's hard to find stuff without driving an hour away and there is no guarantee it's there either. no luck on finding chick grit so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by