Help! Sick chick!

He was too far gone and I believe he was suffering. He didn’t eat or drink just lay there twitching in pain. I humanely euthanized by cervical dislocation. I tried everything I could possibly do. I know he is no longer in pain. Doing that is one of the hardest things. I sat there for hours crying and kept trying to but couldn’t. I finally built the courage and put my feelings aside for his sake. Thanks for all the information and support. This never gets easier. I just learn more and more. I’m keeping a close eye on one of the other chicks

I'm familiar with the Selenium and Vitamin E you're talking about (see photo below). For some instant energy that might make giving Vitamin-E treatment easier, I'd try to get some electrolytes mixed in the chick's water into it first. Here's how to give liquids to a chick/chicken:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

To the Vitamin-E:
If you're giving the product shown below, you'll need to measure the dosage in grams (g). A 2g dose will yield 400IU of Vitamin-E, 1g will yield 200IU, but it's not as easy a delivery to the chick as what azygous is talking about due to the volume of the mix needed AND that it's in a loose gel form that is harder to get in a chick's mouth. If you have an eye-dropper or syringe (without the needle), that will help deliver a dose of the gel. If you can't measure the dosage via a scale, it might help that a 2g dosage is about the size of two green peas, a single gram the size of one green pea. The Selenium is necessary for the absorption of the Vitamin-E...

If you wish to go with Vitamin-E geltabs Selenium tablets, they can be found at CVS, Walgreens, and/or other retailers that carry human vitamins. These stores will also have Selenium in 200mcg tablets (micrograms), OR use some friend egg for Selenium.

As azygous said, you'll use just a sliver of the Selenium tablet and a full geltab punctured to remove the liquid from inside. Squeeze the Vitamin-E on a piece of moist bread and sprinkle the Selenium that you've pulverized (we use some moistened Starter Feed mixed with Yogurt to get them to take the mix), and feed to the chick. You might need to hold the chick's mouth open to administer any of this therapy, but the good news is this:
THEY OFTEN IMPROVE IN A MATTER OF HOURS.

Let us know how it goes...
I did all of that and no improvement.

Back
Top Bottom