Help, sick chicken - video attached

Swbertrand1

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 21, 2018
Wilmington, NC
Hello all, I am looking for some advice and can't seem to figure out what is wrong with my chicken. Based on her symptoms it seems to be either gape worms or a lung/bronchial issue. She is eating and drinking properly although she does not like to eat or drink standing up. It seems when she bends over to eat or drink, it cuts off her airflow and she lets out this very loud almost horse sounding noise. It is in the video attached. She has had diarrhea very bad for several years. She is around 6 years old and is still currently laying eggs. She has been treated with ivermectin dewormer 2x, another poultry dewormer that contains the active ingredient called Fenbendazole 3x (each time, a week apart). This one says it kills gape worms). Also, she is on the antibiotic Tetroxy HCA-280, active ingredient Oxytetracycline. It is a powder that is placed in the water. I have also giving her four times the dose of the water dosage, twice a day for 10 days. This is been going on for almost a month. She has gotten a little bit better but is still doing this strange holler when she eats (in video), where she curves her neck in almost a shape of an S when she's making the noise. Several weeks ago, she was struggling to breathe a lot of the time. Now she seems to just have trouble breathing only when she is eating mealworms too fast. I have read on all the different forms and cannot seem to find any further information with this issue. If anyone has any information or advice I would greatly appreciate it.
Kindest Regards,
Susan Bertrand

she might be having stress from all the vitamins and helpers you are giving her, or she might be stressed because there has been a predator attack nearby. Do you know of any? I'm not an expert.

she might be having stress from all the vitamins and helpers you are giving her, or she might be stressed because there has been a predator attack nearby. Do you know of any? I'm not an expert.
Thank you for your answer however there has not been any predator attacks. We have 12 other chickens and everybody else is fine. She wasn't given any of the meds until we noticed her being sick. 🥺

Thank you for your answer however there has not been any predator attacks. We have 12 other chickens and everybody else is fine. She wasn't given any of the meds until we noticed her being sick. 🥺
Thank u for the advice, and for the video. She might just be going through a phase, (Our leghorn went through one like that one you showed in the thread,) or something else. I'm sorry I couldn't give much help, but hope she gets better! :) 🐔:jumpy

That sure is strange to watch! It's almost as if she is crowing and then starts to choke.

As all the treatment she already had did not help, she might be suffering from a fungal infection called Aspergillosis:

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/aspergillosis/aspergillosis-in-poultry?query=chicken aspergillosis
Hi, thank you so much for your response. I looked at the link you gave me along with several other websites about this particular disease and it definitely seems to fit however there are no treatments in chickens it says. It's strange because she is still laying at 6 years old. Thank you though I appreciate your response!

Back
Top Bottom