1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help sick chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bite the dust, Apr 16, 2017.

1. bite the dust

bite the dust New Egg

Apr 16, 2017
    Hello all,
    I am new to raising chickens I've had them for about 6 months now and it's been so awesome! They just started laying we've had 0 complications the best pet ever until now.
    3 days ago I noticed something was up with my Delaware "whitey" she had a pretty hard limp something was wrong with her right leg. I inspected and there were no wounds, no swelling, she didn't seem in any kind of pain while I was handling her. So I segregated her and noticed her poop was the consistency and color of milk, no kind of texture at all. I gave her a warm bath (which she unexpectedly loved) and she drank some water with liquid calcium in it. This was about 3 days ago.
    Now it seems as though she has lost movement in both her legs, she won't move them at all. stool is still milky white with some broken down food now. And just today started panting a lot. She is eating and drinking, but I'm very concerned and don't know what else to do, and still can't find the source of the problem.
    Please help she is my 4 year olds favorite [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please do post in fullest detail at the ER site, suggested by Redsoxs. I hope they will be able to diagnose her and suggest treatment. [​IMG]

4. bite the dust

bite the dust New Egg

Apr 16, 2017
    Ok will do thanks guys!

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under bite the dust [​IMG] Welcome!

I am so very sorry to hear that Whitey is unwell and hope that the folks on the ER Forum are able to help you and her out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by