Help sick chicken.

Austin81

Songster
Jan 22, 2019
Norfolk County, Ontario Canada
Hey everyone so we have a chicken that’s not doing well. She has what we think is an injured leg can walk on it really at all kinda drags it behind her most times she looks like she is in pain she isn’t really eating a lot of anything on her own we’re actually feeding her with a syringe she is popping green and just sits in one spot most of the day we have her isolated in a cage in the house. We have this wide spectrum antibiotic we want to give her just wanted some other advise on what you all might think it is or what to do etc. She’s been like this for over a week

Attachments

• D78CA1C9-6137-4E63-AA92-DDE35EFE630F.jpeg
    D78CA1C9-6137-4E63-AA92-DDE35EFE630F.jpeg
    805.5 KB · Views: 7
  • A574E01A-FE55-4FAC-8CDD-C4EB69A3727E.png
    A574E01A-FE55-4FAC-8CDD-C4EB69A3727E.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Poor girl! I can’t help you with the antibiotics - I’m not knowledgeable enough in that brand - but are you able to examine the leg? Is it her foot, leg, or thigh that’s injured? Does she have any open wounds? Did she injure the joint? Does she have bumble foot?

If she does have an infection, I’ve read that (if a vet visit isn’t possible) fish amoxicillin can be given. I recently had a hen I suspected of having egg peritonitis (swollen abdomen, acting sick and puffed up).

I ended up finding the fish amoxicillin on 1-800-Pet Meds and gave her 125 mL twice a day for five days. She’s all better now, so maybe that did the trick (or she wasn’t as sick as I thought she was).

Anyway, if you can figure out what exactly the problem is, it might help with treatment. And I’m hoping someone familiar with that antibiotic will ring in and let you know. If I were you, I’d also search these forums with the name of the antibiotic you have to see how people use it. Good luck and I hope your girl gets better!

Back
Top Bottom