Help! Sick chicken

Kristi427

Hatching
May 18, 2023
1.) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Black Australorp, just over 1 year old, yes thinner and lighter
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Lethargic, not eating although seems interested, takes one peck then acts disgusted, wobbly when standing and doesn't stand as much as possible, poopy butt feathers but clear vent, does not feel egg bound or impacted crop
She seems pretty alert still, talks to me when she sees me and has her head up eyes open and clear, but just doesn't wanna stand up
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
2 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No, 2 other birds acting perfectly normal
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
N/a
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She picked at a tomato today but it's all I've seen her eat in 2 days
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Green/yellow
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Probiotic, vitamins,
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat myself as I have no vets nearby that deal with chickens
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
No wound
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Normal chicken coop with 4 nesting boxes, and roost and wood shavings

Last edited:
Lethargic, not eating although seems interested, takes one peck then acts disgusted, wobbly when standing and doesn't stand as much as possible, poopy butt feathers but clear vent, does not feel egg bound or impacted crop
Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of her and her poop?

When was her last egg?
Have you added new birds recently?
Is she molting?
What do you feed, including treats?
What's the vitamins you have been giving?
Any chance she ate moldy feed, something toxic, got into compost or ate something rotten?

I'd re-check that crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, look her over for injuries, look inside her beak for any canker or lesions, check for lice/mites, work on hydration, then get her eating. If she should have laid an egg and hasn't, then give her extra calcium for a few days.

Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of her and her poop?

When was her last egg?
Have you added new birds recently?
Is she molting?
What do you feed, including treats?
What's the vitamins you have been giving?
Any chance she ate moldy feed, something toxic, got into compost or ate something rotten?

I'd re-check that crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, look her over for injuries, look inside her beak for any canker or lesions, check for lice/mites, work on hydration, then get her eating. If she should have laid an egg and hasn't, then give her extra calcium for a few days.
I will try to post some pictures a little later is now 4 am, but to answer questions here last egg was probably a week or so ago, we recently got 2 ducks added, its possibly she is molting as I do see a lot of black feathers in the coop but the ducks are also black/she does not look to be losing feathers, still very fluffy, feed is dumor brand layer feed but there has also been young duck food available she may have gotten into, I read that it was not a problem for them to eat, meal worms/ fruits and veggies never moldy or bad, she does free range but had been doing so for almost a year and our yard hadn't changed, I've checked for mites, egg bound, crop(but will recheck as you stated) and the other things you suggested, thank you for the input, I've been hydrating her with a syringe since yesterday

Back
Top Bottom