HELP sick chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rockabilly7, Sep 8, 2010.

1. rockabilly7

rockabilly7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Florida panhandle
    So I received a small flock of hens a couple weeks ago. In this flock I have one polish and she is the lowest on the pecking order [​IMG] she is also my favorite!
    Well I went to check on them this morning and she wasn't moving I picked her up and she was alive, but very listless and could not stand up. I took her to the vet and he said she was severely malnourished. But since he didnt know much about chickens he couldn't tell me much else.
    What can do for my chicken? What could she have? Please help me!!!!!!!!

2. Ozchicken

Ozchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Queensland, Australia
    Polish don't eat well and fail to thrive if their crest is obscuring their vision. One polish on her own would usually be bottom of the pecking order as well which makes things worse. Rethink your housing. Could you keep her with a gentle buddy away from the others? Also trim her crest so she can see. Polish that can't see don't eat and get sick.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  3. rockabilly7

rockabilly7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Florida panhandle
    Quote:Thank you SO much that makes perfect sense! I am actually bringing her home with me tonight and I will be trimming her crest! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by