Help! sick chickens

Sounds like you are doing all you can right now. I always throw as much as I can at things like this, especially if I know their ability to stay alive could take a turn for the worse. And I will worm, use antifungals, dulculax and anything else I think will work. Sometimes the bird can't wait for each treatment to run it's course. 

The only other thing...have you checked her for egg binding? Some odd shaped egg could be stuck in her oviduct or even a lash egg. (sometimes these come from infections and other times they are yolks that have built up in the uterus and have cooked there) Put on a latex or some sort of disposable glove and gently go back into the vent. If you can go in 2 inches and don't feel anything, then nothing is causing trouble.

But keep at it with all these things. I am dealing with a hen right now that had a doughy crop SO bad I had to turn to the Acidified Copper Sulfate and FINALLY it all moved through her. She is still not well and I am not sure exactly why she is sick, but at least her yeast infection is under control and she is not wearing a doughy tennis ball around her chest.

These yeast infections can take a week or even 2 weeks to clear, so treat the things you can until you can possibly figure what is exactly causing the issue. 

Great Job! 

Thank you! I will check her vent for problems and will keep you posted. Best of luck with your hen!

Her crop is hard like a rock. I put her outside today because she really wants to join the others. She has been pretty much cooped up in the house, so to speak. I m at the point of giving up again. She's been in the house for over a month. I wasn't feeding her much, but I didn't want to starve her. She's had hard boiled egg with olive oil. She did like the piece of apple I would give her. She doesn't care for yogurt. She's had a green powder probiotic, chick starter/grower, cleaned-blended egg shells, water with garlic, water and just recently, water with Wazine.

My hen, Butters, is doing quite well now. I don't believe she is laying yet, but her comb is becoming more red again. She is not able to fly up to roost yet. I think because she was in the house so long. I will pick her up sometimes, and put her on one of the lower roosting bars for the night. She likes that. Anyways, what I did to help her. I finally started giving her chick starter grower with a lot of mineral oil mixed in. I would massage her crop in the morning and evening. Her crop got kinda doughy feeling, but it seems now that she has passed her biggest issues. She still has pendulum crop and it looks pretty rough by the end of the day, but by morning she's processed pretty much everything. I am keeping an eye on it. I think a crop bra would probably help so that is in the future. Thanks everyone for the info and help.

Sounds like you are doing all you can right now. I always throw as much as I can at things like this, especially if I know their ability to stay alive could take a turn for the worse. And I will worm, use antifungals, dulculax and anything else I think will work. Sometimes the bird can't wait for each treatment to run it's course.

The only other thing...have you checked her for egg binding? Some odd shaped egg could be stuck in her oviduct or even a lash egg. (sometimes these come from infections and other times they are yolks that have built up in the uterus and have cooked there) Put on a latex or some sort of disposable glove and gently go back into the vent. If you can go in 2 inches and don't feel anything, then nothing is causing trouble.

But keep at it with all these things. I am dealing with a hen right now that had a doughy crop SO bad I had to turn to the Acidified Copper Sulfate and FINALLY it all moved through her. She is still not well and I am not sure exactly why she is sick, but at least her yeast infection is under control and she is not wearing a doughy tennis ball around her chest.

These yeast infections can take a week or even 2 weeks to clear, so treat the things you can until you can possibly figure what is exactly causing the issue.

Great Job!
I have the same issue, pendulum crop with one of my girls. We take extra care with her with all the above suggestions. Other than the crop issue, she lays eggs most every day. My question is:. CAN WE SAFELY EAT HER EGGS ? I have been scrambling them and just feeding it back to her. She can only eat so many eggs, I hate to waste them.

I have the same issue, pendulum crop with one of my girls. We take extra care with her with all the above suggestions. Other than the crop issue, she lays eggs most every day. My question is:. CAN WE SAFELY EAT HER EGGS ? I have been scrambling them and just feeding it back to her. She can only eat so many eggs, I hate to waste them.
If her crop is pendulous, it means she must have had a sour or impacted crop at some point that stretched out the crop skin and now it hangs. These types can wither away over time because the food is not moving through them well. You might get her into a crop bra. I've used them on several birds and it really helps with their health. You can get one here... https://www.etsy.com/listing/779998331/chicken-bra-crop-bra-crop-supporter-slow

As for eating her eggs, they are perfectly fine to eat, just as healthy as any of your other hens! :)

Back
Top Bottom