HELP!! Sick Chickens

I sent two of the deceased chickens off for necropsy yesterday. Today the chickens seem to be doing a little better, no new dead ones this morning so that’s a plus. Three that were acting ill seem to have more energy. My Ancona with the pale floppy comb came over and was chattering to me this morning which she hasn’t done in 3 days and her comb appears to be getting red again however still floppy. My Easter Egger Roo has been huddled up and hiding for the last 3 days and is now out chasing my hens again. I came out to 2 eggs this morning too so they are starting to lay again as well. Hoping we are at a turning point. Im thinking it was the feed but it is strange to me because they have been on that feed for over 2 weeks without issue and then all of a sudden started dropping like flies unless it was a combination of the feed and coccidiosis brewing? How long does it usually take to get a necropsy back?

I sent two of the deceased chickens off for necropsy yesterday. Today the chickens seem to be doing a little better, no new dead ones this morning so that’s a plus. Three that were acting ill seem to have more energy. My Ancona with the pale floppy comb came over and was chattering to me this morning which she hasn’t done in 3 days and her comb appears to be getting red again however still floppy. My Easter Egger Roo has been huddled up and hiding for the last 3 days and is now out chasing my hens again. I came out to 2 eggs this morning too so they are starting to lay again as well. Hoping we are at a turning point. Im thinking it was the feed but it is strange to me because they have been on that feed for over 2 weeks without issue and then all of a sudden started dropping like flies unless it was a combination of the feed and coccidiosis brewing? How long does it usually take to get a necropsy back?
Glad you chickens seem to be improving!!!

I don't know how long, but if you contact the lab, I bet they could tell you.

Any limping or gray eyes?
Can I ask why you mentioned those two symptoms? I have one hen with gray eyes and a roo in a different flock who has been limping for the past week. My favorite roo (also in a different flock) died for unknown reasons two weeks ago, he fathered the limper and mated with the gray eyes.

I’m worried sick that I’ll lose my flock and have recently become homeless, so expensive vet bills are impossible for me right now.
Thank you!

Can I ask why you mentioned those two symptoms? I have one hen with gray eyes and a roo in a different flock who has been limping for the past week. My favorite roo (also in a different flock) died for unknown reasons two weeks ago, he fathered the limper and mated with the gray eyes.

I’m worried sick that I’ll lose my flock and have recently become homeless, so expensive vet bills are impossible for me right now.
Thank you!
Yes. Gray eyes and limping are signs of Mareks disease. If you have it you can expect to loose 80-90% of the flock. If you are not able to keep your flock it’s important to not put them in with another persons flock - it’s highly contagious. Basically it’s a cull and start over scenario and you need to bleach all feeders/waterers and get rid of coops. You can also start over with vaccinated chicks but the cannot get exposed to any chicken dander from the infected flock for the first few weeks until the vaccinations take affect. Sounds like you may well have it based on your descriptions. You can expect more and more limping and dying if it is - sorry to say.

Thank you!
I'm sorry you're having trouble :hugs

Why don't you start a thread about your hen and rooster so we can offer some suggestions and give some input.

Post good clear photos of the eyes and of the hen too.
Photos of the rooster or a video of how he moves would be good. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Back
Top Bottom