1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP ! sick cockerel can't stand up !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by George Mitchell, Aug 15, 2016.

1. George Mitchell

George Mitchell Just Hatched

Aug 10, 2016
    My cockerel has been ill for a while but this evening i found him on his side, he can't stand up by himself ! i have other threads with information on them about his symptoms. i need help quick !

2. Matt H

Matt H Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    Saraland AL
    Have you had a fecal float done for coccidiosus?

3. George Mitchell

Aug 10, 2016
    no, there are no vets here that do them where i live

4. Matt H

Matt H Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    Saraland AL
    Prior symptoms if I may ask? And are other flock members sick? What have you ruled out as a cause?

5. George Mitchell

Aug 10, 2016
    lethargic, pale face, hunched over puffed up, stumbling around, not eating and drinking much, diarrhea.
    no other chickens sick. its not worms ( worms make chickens lose weight rapidly ) not mites ( haven't found any ) he has a soft crop ( no crop problem )

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like possible Mereks???

7. Matt H

Matt H Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    Saraland AL
    Sounds like my Barred Rock Pullet. I took every reasonable course of action with no improvement...antibiotics, Corid, dewormed, forced fluids and solids. I found her laying on her side under the hanging feeder, just barely alive. She was the only sick one of the bunch.

8. George Mitchell

Aug 10, 2016
    what happened to her ? and if she died what was it ?

9. Matt H

Matt H Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    Saraland AL
    After the six week process of trying everything suggested. I did what I was taught by my Dad whom raised poultry. Hopefully someone on this very informative forum will have an alternative.

10. Matt H

Matt H Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    Saraland AL
    I do wish you the best sir.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by