Help! Sick Coturnix Quail Chick

Jellybean June

Chirping
Apr 16, 2022
Virginia, USA
I'm really not sure what's wrong. Poor baby hatched around noon. He can't walk very well, his stomach is quite large/sticks out compared to the others, and he has no energy. I was thinking maybe spraddle, but his feet/legs look totally fine when he walks, it just has a tendency to tip over. He has been pecking at some food and electrolyte water I gave him, but doesn't seem to be improving. He'll have random burst of energy, toddle around, tip over, and go straight to sleep, rinse and repeat. None of the other chicks have had this problem. He is a beautiful chick. Even though he is completely wobblily and quite exhausted, he seems to have a real fighting spirit. Should I try a spraddle fix anyway? Is there anything else I can do to help him?

edit: not sure if this is important, but this is my first time hatching chicks

Update: I’ve decided to just leave him be. He doesn’t seem to be in any pain and even though his legs and torso are definitely weird he can move around just fine (get to and from the heat source to the food and water). I’m not sure what else to do other than to keep giving him vitamins and care with everyone else.

Update: I’ve decided to just leave him be. He doesn’t seem to be in any pain and even though his legs and torso are definitely weird he can move around just fine (get to and from the heat source to the food and water). I’m not sure what else to do other than to keep giving him vitamins and care with everyone else.
Do you have electrolytes to give him? It may help boost his energy. Does he look okay other than being sleepy?

Unfortunately it doesn't sound good. There isn't actually much you can do at this point to try to save the little thing. Just give it time and see if it finds its feet.

That’s the conclusion I’ve come to as well . :( I’m just going to try and keep him and comfy and happy for as long as I can.
If he doesn't find his feet within 48 hours I would end it suffering...if it were mine. There's no harm in just giving it time though.

Update 2: Leggy (what I’ve been calling this chick) is doing awesome! He is walking nearly as well as his brothers and sisters and has great control! I think the electrolytes helped a lot. I’m feeling really hopeful

Back
Top Bottom