Help sick hen, white & yolk poop

jenkorrell

Chirping
7 Years
May 17, 2014
Hi my Maran started having white poop with egg yolk last night, today she was sitting with tail down in the yard and wouldn't move so I brought her inside, it was in the 90s today. She's not eating or drinking, won't move and just had another poop that had a egg yolk still in sac and it also had a wrinkled up shell. Any ideas? I don't think she's going to make it.

Attachments

• IMG_6284.JPG
    IMG_6284.JPG
    471.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6285.JPG
    IMG_6285.JPG
    483.9 KB · Views: 12
Probably calcium deficiency but I'm not an expert so maybe not. How old is she? Maybe she's just trying to stop laying because she's to old and it's hurting her now?

Hi, thanks for the reply, she's 4. She looks really bad, no food or water all day. I tried to give her water but she won't take it. I have never had to supplement with calcium is that something separate?

Hi @jenkorrell How is your hen?

If she is still with you, try to get some vitamins or electrolytes into her. Keeping her hydrated is important.

http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html
Hi, thank you for the info. She is still here and looking almost normal Poop looks regular, she's eating and drinking again, tail feathers are still down somewhat but she's on the mend it appears. I mix oyster shell with their food, but I'm wondering if it's because they are not eating as much food due to being free so much longer with the longer daylight? They have always free roamed in a fenced yard. Thanks for any help.

Hi, thank you for the info. She is still here and looking almost normal Poop looks regular, she's eating and drinking again, tail feathers are still down somewhat but she's on the mend it appears. I mix oyster shell with their food, but I'm wondering if it's because they are not eating as much food due to being free so much longer with the longer daylight? They have always free roamed in a fenced yard. Thanks for any help.

I'm glad to hear she is still going. You may want to provide her with some extra calcium and poultry vitamins.

Personally, I would offer the oyster shell free choice, let them take what they need.

I'm glad to hear she is still going. You may want to provide her with some extra calcium and poultry vitamins.

Personally, I would offer the oyster shell free choice, let them take what they need.
I will get some vitamins today and reevaluate the food. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom