Help! Sick hen!

marzbarz

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2017
Hi there! I'm new and in need ofor some advice. I have a 4 to 5 year old Americana hen that's been sick for about two weeks now (she's been in my bathroom) and I've totally lots hope. She is drinking, eating very little and now cannot walk. She fell over this morning and just layed on her side. Her crop is fine, she is not egg bound and she seems to look normal. I don't know what to do for her. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you-

Hi there! I'm new and in need ofor some advice. I have a 4 to 5 year old Americana hen that's been sick for about two weeks now (she's been in my bathroom) and I've totally lots hope. She is drinking, eating very little and now cannot walk. She fell over this morning and just layed on her side. Her crop is fine, she is not egg bound and she seems to look normal. I don't know what to do for her. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you-

Welcome to BYC

I'm sorry to hear your hen is sick.

Do you feel any swelling of the abdomen, does it feel bloated or fluid filled?
What type of food do you feed?
Have you added any new chickens to your flock within the last 30days?
What does her poop look like?
When was the last time she laid an egg?
Photos are welcome.

It's hard to know what's going on. Try to keep her hydrated and if you have them offer some poultry vitamins in her water. Once you make sure she is hydrated, you can offer some extra protein like hard boiled egg or tuna to see if that is appealing to her.

At her age, there can be many things that can go wrong. Reproductive/internal laying disorders like Peritonitis, Ascites, Salpingitis, cancer or tumors can be common. These can cause weakness, difficulty walking, going off feed, weight loss and lethargy.

Do the best you can to give her supportive care. If you have a vet available that would be best.

Welcome to BYC

I'm sorry to hear your hen is sick.

Do you feel any swelling of the abdomen, does it feel bloated or fluid filled?
What type of food do you feed?
Have you added any new chickens to your flock within the last 30days?
What does her poop look like?
When was the last time she laid an egg?
Photos are welcome.

It's hard to know what's going on.  Try to keep her hydrated and if you have them offer some poultry vitamins in her water.  Once you make sure she is hydrated, you can offer some extra protein like hard boiled egg or tuna to see if that is appealing to her.

At her age, there can be many things that can go wrong.  Reproductive/internal laying disorders like Peritonitis, Ascites, Salpingitis, cancer or tumors can be common.  These can cause weakness, difficulty walking, going off feed, weight loss and lethargy.

Do the best you can to give her supportive care.  If you have a vet available that would be best.

Do you feel any swelling of the abdomen, does it feel bloated or fluid filled? - no, not that I can tell. but she has definitely lost weight.
What type of food do you feed? I feed her purina crumbles, lettuce and other greens.
Have you added any new chickens to your flock within the last 30days? No
What does her poop look like? It's bright green and white and loose.
When was the last time she laid an egg? I honestly do not know. She hasn't layed since I've had her in my bathroom.

I've spoken to a few people who've told me that she is old and this is the end. She was given to me about a year ago so I dont know her true age. I am going to try the tuna or egg to see if she's interested in it. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom