HELP! Sick Hen

shanasutton

In the Brooder
May 21, 2021
My 5 yr old black sexlink is not well. She started having watery poop a couple weeks ago but was still acting normal. I gave her some wazine thinking it was worms. When I was out of town this past week, she became lethargic. Her crop is full and squishy. I've tried emptying it and got about half the contents out. Her poop is watery and yellow. Hwe comb has fallen over. She'll eat a little yogurt. I'm not sure what else to do for her, and don't want her to die.

What do you feed her?
any other symptoms? Wheezing, sneezing,fluffed up, standing funny?
She eats non GMO soy free layer mash, and has all 5 years that I've had her. All of my girls free range everyday when I am able to be outside with them, usually 1-2 hours. I haven't seen any sneezing or fluffed up, just laying around and lethargic. She seems to have slightly labored breathing too.

UPDATE: She is getting weaker, and her crop is not clearing out. I got Monistat suppositories yesterday, and gave her 1/3 yesterday and 1/3 this morning. Before this morning's dose, I emptied her crop as much as I could (about 3/4). I just made her scrambled egg, and will give her that with electrolytes/probiotics in her water.

I was concerned she had a blockage, but I don't feel one. She feels squishy, which is weird.......

What do you feed her?
any other symptoms? Wheezing, sneezing,fluffed up, standing funny?
UPDATE: She is getting weaker, and her crop is not clearing out. I got Monistat suppositories yesterday, and gave her 1/3 yesterday and 1/3 this morning. Before this morning's dose, I emptied her crop as much as I could (about 3/4). I just made her scrambled egg, and will give her that with electrolytes/probiotics in her water.

I was concerned she had a blockage, but I don't feel one. She feels squishy, which is weird.......
When my birds get this----- i get "goodbelly" probiotics in the shot size 4 pack and i also buy plain Kefir yogurt drink. Manually feed her with a dropper as much as you can get in and finish up one Complete shot of the GoodBelly over the course of a few hours with the kefir. Keep feeding it to her even if she refuses. Gently though---Be really careful of getting it in her lungs.
I have had success with this---and then they will poop a giant dark one. Then will improve.

Back
Top Bottom