Help sick hen

BerphreyChicks

Hatching
Jun 23, 2021
I have a hen which I thought was egg bound/impacted crop. After a long agonizing night I got her in for an emergency appt this afternoon. By the time we got there I was convinced she wasn’t going to make it. She was falling asleep, falling over, couldn’t wake her, skin turning kind of purple. The vet checks her up and down, doesn’t think it’s a egg problem, or crop issue. Gives her fluids and clavamox. I’m not 100% convinced it’s not egg or crop related. She hasn’t eaten yet her crop is full and squishy like a water balloon. And she hasn’t laid an egg in three days, and yesterday she was pushing like she was trying to. Now she is sleeping on and off and breathing heavily. She won’t eat but keeps drinking water like crazy. Any advice?

Is she on layer feed and having crushed oyster shell available in a separate container to take as needed? You could insert a clean finger into her vent 1-2 inches to check for a stuck egg or obstruction. A human calcium tablet given orally might help to help her lay an egg, if she is egg bound. If her crop is squishy and full in the early morning, she might have a slow crop or possibly getting sour crop, especially if she has a sour or bad odor from her beak.

Is she on layer feed and having crushed oyster shell available in a separate container to take as needed? You could insert a clean finger into her vent 1-2 inches to check for a stuck egg or obstruction. A human calcium tablet given orally might help to help her lay an egg, if she is egg bound. If her crop is squishy and full in the early morning, she might have a slow crop or possibly getting sour crop, especially if she has a sour or bad odor from her beak.
Her crop was hard this morning but is full and squishy now. She’s on layer feed and oyster shell and free ranges during the day. She’s only been laying for about two or three weeks now. I’m worried it might be water belly. I’ve never seen it before though so I’m not sure. She’s breathing hard, the skin on her back is turning kind of purple, and the area between her vent and legs is squishy and warm.

Back
Top Bottom