help! sick peacock

I think the Metro will help him survive. It's a great med. Just keep doing what everyone is suggesting. I wish I would have had Metro for my pea. I know that it would still be alive. It lasted about 6 days before it died. :(

Casportpony, do you know the amount of Metro to give to peas based on weights?
According to the AAAP Disease manual, for the treatment of blackhead, it's 30mg/kg (that's in your necropsy report, right?), but I have given up to twice that much and have been told by vets that the range is 30mg-60mg/kg.

Last edited:
Casportpony, do you know the amount of Metro to give to peas based on weights?

According to the AAAP Disease manual, for the treatment of blackhead, it's 30mg/kg (that's in your necropsy report, right?), but I have up to twice that much and have been told by vets that the range is 30mg-60mg/kg.

I'll have to check my report. So is that every time you administer the drug or daily amount?

I'll have to check my report. So is that every time you administer the drug or daily amount?

This is a cut and paste from my AAAP 6th Edtition Avian Disease Manual ( I have the book and the CD). SID means once a day.

There is currently no approved medication for treatment of histomoniasis in food animals. Small
groups of birds not being raised for consumption can be effectively treated individually with metronidazole
at a dose of 30 mg/kg orally SID for 5 days
. Antihelmentic treatment may help suppress the population of
cecal worms.

Last edited:
I am not good with the formula. Is the tablet that I am giving overdosing? His poo is yellow and runny. Is that blackhead for sure?
Would Amoxicillin help at all? I will try to find him tonight when I get home from work to give him another. I will pen him up tomorrow. He was easy to catch today. He is a two yr old blackshoulder. He did feel like he was thin when I got my hands on him today. I will admit that I first noticed something was not quite right with him a week ago. I guess I was just hoping that he would get better, even though I knew from everyone's experience on here that I was putting my head in the sand. I really hope he pulls through.
fl.gif
I will blame myself for not acting sooner if he does not make it.
sad.png

I am not good with the formula. Is the tablet that I am giving overdosing?
I have given 250mg to to 2.5kg birds and that's what pigeon people give their pigeons, so no, I don't think you're overdosing.

His poo is yellow and runny. Is that blackhead for sure?
In my peas and turkeys, yellow has been blackhead 100% of the time.

Would Amoxicillin help at all? I will try to find him tonight when I get home from work to give him another.
I don't know much about it.

I will pen him up tomorrow. He was easy to catch today. He is a two yr old blackshoulder. He did feel like he was thin when I got my hands on him today.
You need to weigh him and give him access to a heat source, preferably inside.

I will admit that I first noticed something was not quite right with him a week ago.
It's then that treatment is most effective, but the older the bird, the better the chance of recovery.

I guess I was just hoping that he would get better, even though I knew from everyone's experience on here that I was putting my head in the sand. I really hope he pulls through.
fl.gif
I will blame myself for not acting sooner if he does not make it.
sad.png

Been there, done that. What counts is that you're doing something now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom