Help! sick pullet! hard croup i think!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Angelpoo, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Angelpoo

Angelpoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    Ok this is going to sound stupid, but i forget what the ball on their chest is called... i think its there croup...? well is it supposed to be hard? My chicken has lost strength and is gasping for air. all my other chickens are healthy and there 'croup" isnt hard! please reply A.S.A.P!!!!!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    The crop - the thing the holds the food before it goes to the gizzard - is hard when it is full of hard food like grain. Not sure on the gasping - something caught in her throat?? I'm sorry I don't more to off than this. Keep up posted and good luck!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Can you give her some water - through an eye dropper or squeeze bottle - to maybe moisten things up if she is choking? Just a wild guess - sorry!

4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Olive oil through a dropper is good, just make sure to put it under their tongue and let them swallow. You can also massage it downward to try to get it to pass through the system. However, the gasping is a bad sign, this pullet might not make it [​IMG] You can try to isolate her indoors so that she has no more access to solid foods as this can make the problem worse. Let us know how she does.

5. Angelpoo

Oct 26, 2012
    will my other chickens get it too!?!

6. my sunwolf

If it's just an impacted crop, your other chickens should not get sick! If it turns out to be a respiratory problem, then they already have it, so no need to take action on that one. The "gasping for air" comment is a little ominous, but I think that a very bad impacted crop can cut off the windpipe, so I wouldn't worry too much about respiratory issues just yet. I suggested isolation so she doesn't have to work so hard to keep her body heat up and that she doesn't ingest a whole bunch of grit trying to help her situation (usually just causes further blockage).

7. Angelpoo

Oct 26, 2012
    i shoud probably mention i bought a batch of chicks from someone this spring and the one lavander died of a espiratory disease over a month ago. about 2 weeks ago it hit the other pullet really hard. one day she had the most energy in the flock, and the next.. she was so weak she couldnt fly. she jumped from the perch and splintered her leg, but has recovered perfectly. then she started to gape and here crop got hard. i love her to bits but honestly i would cull her if it meant saving my other babies! plsssss help i feel so hopless and depressed.

8. my sunwolf

If it is respiratory and she's been living with the other chickens, they already have it. Nothing to do there. Here's an important question: how old are they?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by