Help! Sick Rooster - hasn't crowed for a week, runny poops, very thin with hard crop, faded comb

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by elcgoodman, Nov 18, 2013.

1. elcgoodman

elcgoodman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2013
    Hello! Sorry to join bearing bad news, but I'm in a panic about my rooster who seems to be on death's door [​IMG]
    He is an 8-month old Araucana and such a sweetie, I'll be sad to lose him.

He hasn't crowed for the last week and his comb has been losing color. We thought maybe this was due to colder weather and lots of the hens are molting so we thought he might be preparing for the same, but his feathers are looking beautiful as ever (except his tail feathers are a little floppier). I realize now that we may have waited way too long to treat him. Today we brought him in and put him in a wire cage near the woodstove so he could recuperate in a warm and quiet space. He is still able to walk and trot, but he's much slower that usual. Still, he was difficult to catch to bring in.

Since he's been in I've noticed these symptoms:
    -He is very thin, I can feel his breastbone jutting out
    -His crop seems very hard and full
    -His comb is faded to a dusty pink, even a little purple tipped. Reddening up slightly after being indoors for 6 hours.
    -His poop is runny and green/ mucusy looking
    -While I was holding him he opened his mouth upon inhalation, in his cage his breathing seems normal
    -He is able to make a rare chicken-y noise, doesn't sound gurgly or anything, just little coos
    -He is still not sitting down after being inside all morning/ afternoon, seems to prefer standing.
    -He's barely drinking anything (I made an electrolyte drink of: water, sugar, baking soda, and salt). He ate some grains we sprinkled in and a whole scrambled egg. I just made him another egg for lunch but he's not touching it.

If anyone has any thoughts about anything I can do for him or what his diagnosis might be that would be much appreciated. I'm not going to rack up a large vet bill but I'm all about home remedies and taking the time to help him to recovery.

Look forward to 'talking' again on a not so grave topic!

Thanks and Peace

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

4. elcgoodman

Nov 18, 2013
    Thanks so much for the tip!

5. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

I hope you can find a cure fast here on BYC

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Look for lice and check into worming him. Is he fluffing his feathers out like he is cold?

7. elcgoodman

Nov 18, 2013
    enola: he doesn't seem to be fluffing his feathers. I think he may have an impacted crop.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to search Impacted Crop and see what comes up. I know it is common

9. elcgoodman

Nov 18, 2013
    The latest news:

This morning his crop was (not surprisingly) still full feeling after no food all night. Today he ate some scrambled eggs & yogurt as well as some lentils & oatmeal drizzled in olive oil. He's still hardly drinking, so my sister and I were able to give him a couple small syringes worth of electrolyte water. Now he seems to hate the syringe and won't let us give him much coconut oil. During this oil-feeding my husband was massaging his crop, which up until now has only felt squishy but very gritty, "like a hacky sack" my sister said. But this time my husband located a very large hard object. Probably about 2 inches long and maybe an inch in diameter; we can't tell what it is. Maybe a large bolt? Or a rock or bone? It does not seem like something that will be able to pass through his system, is it possible to help him throw it up? We were thinking of lubing up his system by feeding him oil, and massaging it up and out. Sounds terrible, but it seems like it could be the cause of his impacted crop. I can't tell what all the gritty feeling stuff is. A friend of mine who has raised birds for decades stopped by today and said it felt like grain in his crop and that he needs some grit. I bought some laying hen grit and sprinkled some on the floor and in his food but he's hardly touched it.

Any thoughts on our expelling plan are much appreciated! I really don't want to take him in for surgery...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by