Help sick rooster

lovechickens23

Songster
8 Years
Aug 18, 2013
Hi my rooster is 6 month old I feed them flock raiser and scratch feed and for treats veggies and meal worms. He started being sick few days ago he not walking just laying down allot he eats still and drinks still. He has no warms in stool but it's green and watery why??? What is wrong with him? I don't have time to answer questions I wrote down everything I can think of that u will ask. just tell me what sickness it is so I can get the meds from tractor supply please thank u his name is hay hay not sure the breed I think a mixed. He is big rooster.

Hi my rooster is 6 month old I feed them flock raiser and scratch feed and for treats veggies and meal worms. He started being sick few days ago he not walking just laying down allot he eats still and drinks still. He has no warms in stool but it's green and watery why??? What is wrong with him? I don't have time to answer questions I wrote down everything I can think of that u will ask. just tell me what sickness it is so I can get the meds from tractor supply please thank u his name is hay hay not sure the breed I think a mixed. He is big rooster.
Basically any number of sickness can cause lethargy and watery poop so that’s why those questions are there for you to answer.

Last edited:
Possibly weather related? If you’re in a cold snap they can have a decrease in energy. Our most active hens have had a few couch potato days this winter but they bounce back when it gets warm again. Maybe try a high protein snack (greek yogurt, a scrambled egg, etc.). You say he’s not walking - do you mean not at all or just decreased energy? Cause if it’s not at all it’s possibly an injury. Neither of those would really explain the loose stool though, but unless he’s separated from the rest of the flock it would be hard to tell what all his poops look like. Maybe start there to get a better idea of things?

It's not funny I am worried about him and he vary young only 6 month old. And he big rooster . Green watery stool not walking much just laying down he still eats and drink he has no worms

It's not funny I am worried about him and he vary young only 6 month old. And he big rooster . Green watery stool not walking much just laying down he still eats and drink he has no worms
It’s just hard to give a definite answer with you not wanting to answer additional questions. There’s no singular issue that can cause loose stool and lethargy.

If he is still with your flock, I would start by isolating him. It’s going to allow you to keep a closer eye on his poop, how much he is eating and drinking, etc. Make sure the water is fresh and his area is clean. If his comb is still bright and red and if he still looks good, I would start with a probiotic or some electrolytes as he could just be stressed or maybe he’s ate something that’s not agreeing with him. If the rest of your flock seem fine then hopefully it’s just that and he improves!

Not sure just little bit here and then there. And no his comb is not pale it's nice and red.just not walking much or standing. His legs look fine. He been in for 3 days now away from others.

How is my response coming off as a joke? Literally anything can cause lethargy and it would be irresponsible to go buy a random medication and dose him. The questions are there for a specific reason and in all the the time you've taken to respond to these messages you could have just sat down and answered the questions.

We need to know how long he's been sick, if you can observe any physical changes, any changes in the comb, facial swelling respiration (Breathing), paleness any signs of trauma, has he been eating, is his crop full, soft, squishy, swollen, what kind of feed he gets, does he free range, what kind of housing does he have. Pictures are very helpful, even pictures of his stools. Have you inspected him for lice or mites?

Common causes of lethargy are: anemia from mites, not eating (could be an internal problem effecting appetite), internal parasite overload, or some sort of respiratory problem. All of those would require a different treatment.

And in the mean time if you can isolate him for observation that is helpful and can potentially protect the rest of your flock from getting sick.

Not sure just little bit here and then there. And no his comb is not pale it's nice and red.just not walking much or standing. His legs look fine. He been in for 3 days now away from others.
Does he allow you to touch his legs? Does there seem to be any swelling or injury? If you have him separated does the area allow for much movement? The last hen we had quarantined to treat vent gleet just sat around but that’s because our crate is pretty small.

Maybe someone else will chime in and have a better idea to help you out! Other than trying an electrolyte or probiotic I don’t have any other ideas with the info provided. Could you make him a mash or an egg and see if he gobbles it up if you’re not sure how much he’s eating/drinking?

Back
Top Bottom