HELP!! Silkie attacking me ;,(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rirbrahma, Dec 1, 2011.

1. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    Help! My silkie( My first chicken, 5 months old) Has been aggressive lately! Bawking, Charging at me, and Biting me.
    Today, while I was filling up the food bowls... She flew up and ATTACKED MY FACE![​IMG]
    I think I'm a good chicken owner! I love my chickens & take care of them very well! What am I doing wrong?
    She used to be my friendliest. Is there a way to tame her?
    I've had her since she was 4 weeks old & NEVER was like this. I used to sit down with her and watch tv with her..

I know, I know, It's HILARIOUS!! A silkie attacking someone.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

here she is!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I posted pics. Is she a he? maybe that's why I'm being attacked?

Please help if ya can!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. MontanaChickenLady

MontanaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Beautiful Montana
    I'm guessing she IS a HE. I HAD a Black Silkie roo along with 4 hens all of differing breeds. I no longer have the Silkie roo as he became very aggressive toward me (not my husband) and I tried working with him multiple times a day for over 3 weeks and could not break him of his aggression toward me. He started his very aggressive behavior at about 7 months old. It was very difficult giving him away but I have to say the girls and I are much more calm without him around. He was small but mighty. Good luck!

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Sorry, it's a boy. You can tell by that slicked back crest. [​IMG]

4. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Sounds like a roo to me!! But, really a silkie attacking.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    I'm no good at sexing silkies but if it is a she, then at 5 months and hasn't started laying eggs, that may be the reason behind the behavior. She's getting ready to start laying and is suffering from extreme PMS like any good pre-ovulating teenager. If she is indeed a he, it could be that he is starting to feel his oats so to speak and needs a couple of dominating girls around to put him in his place.

Not exactly sure how to fix it but considering the age of the bird... I would hold off a month or two (if possible) before rehoming to see if it calms down. Could just be a hormone surge.

6. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Maybe SHE is a HE - you'll know is a couple more weeks if there aren't any eggs and she/he starts crowing. I have to agree that it seems funny to have a Silkie attacking - but not so funny when you're the one getting attacked. I have 3 silkies that are 7 weeks old and I'm pretty sure it's 2 roos and 1 pullet - just based on their attitudes.

7. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Haha! That 2nd picture is a stink-eye if I've ever seen one. One of my 5 mo old Silkie boys in the Bachelor Yard bowed up at me and did the little wing dance at me the other day. I picked him up and carried him around and made sure the other Silkie boys witnessed his humiliation in full glory, even talked baby talk to the little stud [​IMG] He doesn't want to come see me anymore when I go into their yard lol
    Yea, I think yours is a male also. NONE of my Silkie girls ever exhibit any kind of bold behavior, not towards me or the other chickens. I think behavior is a better indicator of sex in a young Silkie than anything else. Just my observations though.

8. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    A teenage Boy there!

9. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Wow!! If that 2nd pic isn't Stink Eye at it's best .......... [​IMG]

Very pretty Silkie, I've got a little Black Banty Cochin, Cricket who thinks she's in the kick boxing ring when I bend down to pet the other girls [​IMG]

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

The pictures aren't that great, but the first one makes me think boy. My silkie roo would never bite me though [​IMG] He's 1 1/2 and a gentleman. My silkie hen has attacked when she was in the nest and I went to move her out. She wasn't laying an egg (she's still young! going on 6 months in a week and hasn't started to lay yet). So it must be hormonal if your is a girl.

I can't say with certainty that yours is a boy or a girl. The pictures are not clear enough. Could you take some full body ones?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by