Help! Silkie hen acting unusual.

Afaoro

Chirping
Apr 19, 2023
Treasure Coast of Florida
My 1.5 year old Silkie hen is acting unusual today. I noticed her laying down in the corner of the run with her head tucked under her wing. Every 30 seconds or so, she'd lift her head and make the "yawning" motion like she's gasping for air. She continued to do this for about 30 minutes before getting up to join the flock and move around again.

It rained heavily in the evening & she was drenched - so after everyone went into the coop for the night, we brought her inside for a towel dry & a couple small bites of scrambled eggs. While she was inside, she had a massive load of brown diarrhea followed by 2 clear, watery poops. I did notice a couple of tiny white bits inside the brown diarrhea (my mind immediately went to worm segments?)

Another thing worth noting is that, last night, she slept directly on the floor under our other roosting chickens. This resulted in a lot of poop on her back. She excessively preened herself all morning and I noticed her shaking her head a lot as she did so.

I'm on very high alert for anything that seems "off" because my beloved Brahma pullet passed earlier this week - found her face down in the middle of the coop. :( No rhyme or reason, she showed no signs of illness. I'm a first time chicken keeper & feeling really stressed about my entire flock now.

Would greatly appreciate any advice or insight as to what it could be & what my next steps should be. In the meantime, will continue keeping a close eye. Thank you.

Take her aside and check her for lice/mites and make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Look inside her beak for any mucous or yellow/pasty lesions. While you're at it, look inside her ears for any infection.

If she was pooped on a lot, you may need to help pull some of the excess poop off of her.

Photos of her and her poop may be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom